Chapter 2

When I enter, I almost cry at the sight of what is happening. I didn't know I had intruded, but I don't think I caused a problem. I see Katniss, curled up on her bed, her head in her knees, shaking. It is very rare to see Katniss not wearing her hair in a braid, and for only the second time I have seen her with her hair down. Prim is sitting next to her, not speaking a word, just sitting by her sister who has been traumatized to an unimaginable degree, just trying to ease the pain. It is next to impossible for me not to cry, but in the past I have shed enough tears to last me my whole life probably. It feels like an eternity before Prim finally looks up at me. For a moment she just sits there, staring at me like she had just witnessed me die. Than she runs up to me and she squeezes me tight, sobbing into my shoulder. I just stand there, hugging the girl I have been best friends with since kindergarten, who I constantly came to her house during the games to give her gifts, who I told my deepest secrets, who I let my guard down to. Very few people have the ability to put my guard down, so much betrayal and hurt and pain in my life I have developed major trust issues,among the countless other things wrong with me. But I just stay with her, letting her brake apart in my arms.

"I thought you weren't going to come back because Katniss and Peeta are famous now." She whispered to me through her tears. I reach up to her ears, me being shorter than most people, "I promised you and Peeta that no matter what, I am going to stay in District 12. The Capitol and their riches and fame will never take me away from here. You guys mean more to me than any of that." I squeeze her tight, vainly wishing I was in Peeta's arms. I finally let go, and I smile, "So how have you been, I know it must have been a nightmare for you all of this."

Prim nods solemnly, "It was a lot to take. But Gale and Mom helped a lot." I frown and shudder, remembering back when I was little after her dad died. I remember the lifelessness of Myrna's eyes, just sitting there in that chair, she looked dead. I was so thankful that she didn't go back into that state, but of course Gale and I had to assist them a bit.

"How's Peeta's doing? I think he probably is in a lot of pain, losing his leg and all," Prim asks, a glint in her eyes that only comes when she sees that she can help somebody. "I don't know, I was going to see him after I check on you two." She then cocks her head and she looks at me funny, "Did you do something with your hair?" Prim asks. I laughed to myself, wondering how long it took her to notice, "Cinna dyed it last week. He thought that with all the violence in The Games, I needed something to cheer me up. Mother hasn't noticed, she just wants me to wear wigs, but I like my natural hair, but I wanted to have it colored. So here I am with pink and blond streaks in my hair." I flip my hair, showing off the bright pink and blond parts of my hair. I'm not used to showing my apperance, it's just through my mother's constant criticism and lack of kindness from many, I have kind of given up on being beautiful, no matter how hard I tried, I can never please people, but I found other ways.

Prim eyes goes wide when she sees me showing off and Katniss laughs. Both Prim I turn at the sudden sound from her. "Looks like someone is finally embracing her Capitol side," She snears. I roll my eyes, "Be quiet, you and I both know that just because I have a few friends in The Capitol, does not mean I will ever succumb to their culture." She laughed again, but the laugh seemed bitter like the kind of laugh before the revealing of something horrible. "Don't go all defensive on me, it was just a joke," Katniss says with again, bitter laughter. Prim and I look at her, concerned with her strange behavior. Katniss smiles, "Prim, I don't mean to make you leave, but I need to talk to her alone." She points to me. Prim looks at me confused, wondering why. I shrug, also confused but slightly terrified, unknown to what state Katniss is in or what is making her act this way.

I nod to Prim, saying it is ok to go, and Prim walks out slowly, constantly looking back at me.