Chapter 4: The most reluctant of wives

She closed the door behind herself with a soft thud but remained with her back leaning against it and closed her eyes. She felt like a fool for barging in when he had a guest. Perhaps he had not even had time to explain to the visitor that he was a married man now, and then she appeared from nowhere and they had stared at her like she was some freak. It was understandable if it would make him annoyed, and so she had left without saying anything about who she was. She waited a few moments, part of her hoping he would come after her to introduce her properly, but she heard no movement indicating that he would on the other side of the closed door. Suddenly she sharpened her ears, when she noticed that she could actually hear what the men said, Sidney's deep timbre and the other man's slightly higher pitched voice.

"Shut up, you do not know what you are talking about. I can assure you she is nothing to me."

"Have you consummated the marriage?"

"No! I wouldn't make her do that. I want nothing of the sort from her."

With heart pounding, she left and ran back to her own room. She had heard quite enough and did not want to keep eavesdropping to a conversation which was clearly not intended for her ears. Strangely, she found his words hurtful when they ought to bring her nothing but relief. She did not understand why the confirmation that he did not care for her physically was upsetting, when the last thing she wanted was that he would find her attractive and claim what now was lawfully his. Perhaps his words simply played on the strings of her female vanity; she did not appreciate him thinking her too plain to desire, even if she was grateful for not having to fend him off. It was a contradiction, but there it was.

She had sought him out to apologize for words said last evening, words which had been harsh and unfair and which she regretted when morning came. Now, when she had to postpone the apology, she was not sure she would muster the courage it took again, especially as he made it so blatantly clear that he cared nothing for her.

-o-

On the way back from Gretna Green, they had paused for the night at an inn and she had been relieved when he without hesitation got them separate rooms and politely bid her goodnight after dinner. Tense and fearful she still remained awake for some time, waiting for a knock on the door and a demand to come inside, but none came. It seemed like he intended to stay true to his promise, at least for now. She did not trust him fully yet but was able to relax a little and slept better than she had ever since she realised there was no governess position awaiting her.

They had continued next morning and eventually arrived in London. The carriage took them through streets quite different to the ones she had caught a glimpse of on her way to and from the brothel. Wide streets bordered by posh houses and green parks and finally they driver stopped in front of one of the most beautiful houses she had seen; a big one surrounded by a well-kept garden behind fence and gates.

She turned to him in surprise. She had realised he was wealthier than her family, but this.

"Is this your home?"

The corners of his mouth tugged upwards in amusement.

"It is our home, Mrs. Parker. From now on you are the mistress of this house."

"I do not know how to be mistress of such a house!"
"Are you not a gentleman's daughter?"

"Well, yes, but I never expected..."

"Do you like it?"

"Of course, I do."

Who in their right mind would not like such a house?