Hour of Fathers

Five
——
Hour of Fathers

Five——Hour of Fathers

      GAARA WAS IMPRESSED AT HER PUNCTUALITY THE NEXT DAY, or would have been if not for the fact that she arrived twenty minutes prior to the set time. Kiyomi was early and standing outside his door. Just standing there, as if she made time for the scheduled jitters that halted her from entering. He had been rereading Watanojo's newest proposal for the ability to expel people who do not work and can't afford the ability to support themselves. Gaara was trying to think up a dignified way to tell them that they already had that ability.

      It wasn't even an unreasonable request, but Gaara was certain Watanojo was unlikely to stop asking for more once they ran through the laws that were already established. His fingers squeezed on the documents as his migraine grew worse. Kiyomi, now eighteen minutes outside his office, had also grown on his nerves. He didn't want to interrupt her process of irritating him, and he was quite used to people achieving that feat with minimal effort.

      At the dot of 8 in the morning, the door finally resonated with a light tapping. For the love of all the Gods, Gaara thought with a grimace, is she truly knocking?

      "Enter," Gaara said awkwardly, now wondering if she really did not understand that he could sense her.

      "Good morning," she said with an immediate bow as her ponytail trail strands of brown hair fell over her shoulder. He watched the individual brown locks flip over and down her back as she stood up straight and walked to the bookshelf with a very awkward effort to avoid the eye contact that Gaara desperately sought.

      "Shiragane," Gaara said, his eyes already bloodshot and his lids heavy from lack of sleep.

      Kiyomi glanced over to Gaara, her back freezing and her body turning tense. Still, she remembered all her lessons on guarding against unnecessary emotions. She practically invented resting bitch face, so she appeared cool and aloof, regardless of her inner freak out. What am I doing here?

      She waited for him to speak, her slow blink resonating in his skull. What was he going to say? Gaara couldn't quite remember, but he was interested in her opinion. If he had to spend all his days with her for the next couple months, he might as well know her. "Have you been to Watanojo?"

      She wondered why he would ask. He was the Kazekage so she answered, although she didn't want to talk. "Yes."

      Gaara was starting to think she was as bad at communicating as he was, but still, he had grown much over the years. He had worked hard to be 'empathetic' and 'understanding' and 'normal'. "What was your opinion of it?"

      Kiyomi was silent for a rather long time in contrast to the simple question that he asked. "It is forgotten from Wind country decisions often. Their proposals might be terrible, but their intentions are likely to know they are being heard."