Chapter 1

The cold hand touched my neck. With a sharp inhale my lungs hurt but I opened my eyes.

The first thing I see is just greyness. Nothing around me is in its place anymore and certainly the people around me. Houses I used to see every day are just ripped from their places and replaced with ruins. There is no more a little pretty town called Reya. The only town not caught with war. The only place where we didn't have to worry about death, and murders, because we were protected, but not anymore.

A strong hand shakes my body lifting me from the ground. Suddenly like I'm awakened I scream, my hands wrapping around the guy's neck. My fingers try to dip into his neck, trying to hurt him. Kill him.

With ease, he removes my hands and pushes me to the ground. He tries to explain something but I don't listen. The only sound I can hear is a constant bomb ticking and my heart. It beats so fast. Every second I feel like I could die, it's just impossible.

"..calm down," his voice finally comes to my mind and I look at him.
"I know nothing! Just kill me!" I scream again trying to get away from his hands. His hands restrain me in second and with no effort he lifts me.
"Doctors are gonna check your condition before we talk again."

My eyes don't see anything from his dark uniform and a sword sign on the left side of his chest. He is not the enemy. This is King's army. They are here to save us. But who are we?

His hand rests on my neck but when I try to move my head and look around it just tights stopping me. With a long exhale I let my head fall on my chest and close my eyes.

We were supposed to celebrate God's answer in the evening. Preparations for the biggest holiday in this season lasted for weeks now. People in my city had a special connection with the God-believing our city was spared from war because of the Monarchs in here. The city hall was supposed to fit all the citizens and more. Some of the Councils were supposed to come.

"Slowly," I hear some voice and my eyes snap open. I see a man dressed in a white coat with glasses on his head and a big blood trace on his shirt.

My unknown saver slowly puts me down on the small bed and takes a few steps back. For the first time since I woke up, I'm able to see him.
He is dressed in a dark Royal uniform with a dark mask over his head and I'm unable to see his face. But when I meet his eyes they are already observing me and ashamedly I look away.

"Look here," the doctor says to me and I move my look from the dirt to him. His blue eyes are calm and I can sense a peaceful aura around him. He is a gifted doctor. Something with calmness, because my head doesn't swirl that fast anymore. I don't feel scared of the attack. I don't feel anything, anymore, and I'm glad for that.
"I will check your vital functions but if you are not injured badly we will transport you to the closest hospital available. And I will make sure your hands don't get infected."
"What?" I ask him lost in the calmness he gave me.
"You hand. It's injured pretty bad." My look falls in my left hand, and I finally realize what is he talking about. This is a begging - is written on my underarm, and I would probably be freaked out if he isn't here. But his power let this goes easy on me.
"Okay," I answer and move my look from him.

I'm back on my soldier and this time I don't feel ashamed. And he realised that because he took off his mask. Now I'm faced with a beautiful dark-haired man with light eyes. His dark skin shines on the weak sun but I have to smile. He is gifted too. The red mark on his left shoulder in the shape of three circles connecting in the middle tells me he is the General.

Generals have power, they are important. They protect Councils.

"Please look at me again." I hear the doctor's voice and I turn to face him.
"Your vital functions are normal for now, but we need to make sure you are okay. Because of the nature of your wound, I'm not allowed to heal you, but I will give you some protection."
I nod at the doctor's words, but they don't mean anything. I don't understand anything from what's he is talking about. My mind is still on the red circles on General's uniform and the fact he is protecting me.