i. february 29th, 1524

journal entry #1 AN ENTRY ON THE VISIT
DURING THE YEAR OF OUR LORD, 1524.

My mother was the first one to meet him. My nanny, Ms. Wilkins, spoke of that day often. "Such a hectic time," she would cry dramatically, "but your life has always been clouded in confusion, has it not?"

The actual doctor could not make it to my mother's bedside in time as she screamed through the hardship of labor. His excuse was that a spoke of his wheel had popped off, but my father later found out that he was drinking his liver to death. Once his secret was exposed, he was a noble's doctor no more.

But through all of the pain, bless her soul, all my mother could manage to do was yell for him any. The midwifes would try their best to explain the situation, but as time grew longer and I did not pop my stubborn head out, even they grew worried.

Eventually he arrived.

No one heard the whirring of his craft over the frantic cries in the master bedroom, so they all shouted in terror when he popped his head inside.

"You called for a Doctor?" He asked for confirmation, white teeth showing as his mouth opened in a wide smile.

"Yes!" Mother shouted with no second thought, face screwed as a ripple of unholy suffering rolled through her. The midwives voiced their concerns.

"Sorry to just drop in. I meant to go to Sydney, but this will do."

"Madame, he's not your doctor." They ignored him, and glanced from his blue pants to his leather jacket to his closely shaven head. His style was distasteful, to say the least, and he wore none of the colors to indicate he might be of the noble class.

"Any doctor will be my doctor, so long as they can get this child out of me!"

He did the rest in quite the timely manner. He fumbled a bit, for he was not actually a doctor, but soon slimey little me was being cradled by his alien embrace and my mother shut her eyes for a short moment of relief.

"Fantastic," he mumbled before the midwives whisked me away. He locked eyes with Mother, and let loose a smile once again. "Well, I have to say, I've never birthed a human boy like I did just now."

"Me neither," she replied in a staggered manner. "Hats off to us, I suppose... wait, a boy?"

"Oh, yes! It's a boy!"

"That's brilliant," Mother breathed. She inhaled deeply, waiting patiently for the moment her nurses would finally bring her her child. "He gave me quite the trouble, I can only hope it will be the same for his foes in the future."

Eventually the midwives found the time to usher him away, but not before destiny sealed my fate.