xi. february 29th, 1552

journal entry #8 AN ENTRY ON THE VISIT
DURING THE YEAR OF OUR LORD, 1552.

That day, it was as if I were twelve once more, caught off guard by this new person that stepped out of my friend's ship. It seemed like such a drastic change, to spend just one day with the young man from four years ago and to be suddenly met with this person of opposite age.

The gray hair that curled off of his head and graceful wrinkles that showed experience was unlike any I had ever known. His eyes no longer held the hopeful glaze of last time, reverted back to their godly state.

We stood still for a moment, analyzing one another. He was the first to break the stance, reaching out his arms and wrapping them around my shoulders. The hug was awkward, perhaps this face did not particularly enjoy the contact, but I returned it the same way I always had.

I felt his hair against my neck as he began to mumble incessant apologies into my shoulder and I felt concern suffocate every pore of my skin. He had been suffering while I had been sitting peacefully with my family for the past four years.

"You are... Scottish," I muttered. Amelia, she had been Scottish. "My friend, where are the Ponds?"

I made him pull back, watching over him closely so that he would not do anything brash. His stern eyebrows furrowed, and he looked towards the snow covered landscape outside my window panes.

"The Ponds... Ponds... Angels took them. I think... or was it– no, that was Donna."

I listened to him ramble. Was this face fresh? His confusion was unlike him, as if all of his lifetimes were trying to crawl forward but he was just pushing them back down in a jumbled mess. In his unusual confusion I heard the pain and felt his suffering, my frown deepening.

"God must take everyone back one day," I mumbled. I felt off saying it, and I knew The Doctor resented my words. We both knew God takes people sooner than He should.

I followed his gaze to the sky outside, noticing how the sun kissed the horizon and the moon began to stretch her limbs. He had come quite late today, but I did not find myself angry. I could not.

"It is about time Horatio and Glen are put to bed. Would you like to wish them a goodnight?" I asked, motioning towards my bedroom door. He finally met my eyes. "And then perhaps we may go sit with Jesabele, Maryanne, and Kasey?"

"No... no, there's so much we haven't done. I wasted my time—"

"Doctor," I laughed. "Why do you want to go out and travel the world now that I am an old man? I am 28, I just want to sit down and relax now that all of my loved ones have arrived. Just as we have always done." He looked at me in shock, and so I held out my hand.

It took him a moment, but he wrapped his slender fingers around my dark hand and moved his feet as I walked towards the door.

"Let us go join the rest of the family, my friend."