1 . From the Unknown

« Maren I can't see you anymore ! »

Ryder was on tiptoe, trying to keep his balance approximately under the tree her sister was climbing. He squinted to try to see between the deep foliage.

« I think I'm almost at the top ! », Honeymaren said in a proud tone.

The 5 years young girl was grabbing smaller and smaller branches as she was climbing upper. She placed her right foot on the largest branch near her to pull upward and throw her arms up to catch the branch above her head. She swung her legs backwards to reach the top of the branch. Then she sat on it, leaning against the thin trunk to catch her breath. The girl noticed how thick the mist was as she could not see the other trees around her anymore. A smile from ear to ear appeared on her face.

« I can't see anymore Ry ! », she exclaim in a laugh of joy.
«  Is that a good new ? »
« I'm sure the sky is almost there ! »

Ryder was never confident about her sister's weird quests but for this one he really was not confident at all. The tree she was climbing was higher than 60 feet, and if a single branch decided to break under her weight it was obviously a dangerous fall.

The girl looked up to evaluate which branch she could reach. She wasn't tall, and as she was climbing higher, the number of branches close enough for her to grab and big enough to support her weigh was truly reducing.
She could not see above her because of the mist, but at her left there was a branch thick enough to not break under her. She just had to jump and grab it. She looked down to try to know exactly the distance between the two branches, then she took the leap before jumping in the air. As she was about to reach the branch, a strong gust of wind hit her and made her go off course.

«  Gale ! That's not fair ! », she exclaimed in frustration.

She reached out toward the branch but couldn't catch it. A shiver of adrenaline ran through her body as she felt herself fall.

« Maren ! »

She closed her eyes as small branches were scratching her legs and arms, waiting for the impact with the ground that would probably be painful. Strong arms caught her just in time, stopping her fall.

«  Honey, how many times did we told you not to climb alone on trees? You could have died here »

She opened her eyes to see her father, his eyebrows frowned in anger but with a hint of worry in his eyes. He removed a small branch from the hair of her daughter before kneeling to let her stand up on the ground.

« Honeymaren, listen to me », he said in a softer but low voice, « What you did is dangerous and you won't find any reindeer this high »
« But... », started the girl to reply but her father didn't give her the time to do so.
« Honey, what are we in this family ? »
« We're reindeer shepherds ! » answered Ryder proudly.
« I'd rather be just a reindeer... » mumbled her sister in a pout.

Their father sighed softly as he took their hands to move toward the camp.

« Yeah and what do reindeer do ? » he asked with a hint of despair in his voice.

The two children stopped walking to think, frowning.

« Eat everything they saw ? » exclaimed Ryder while jumping up and down.
« Want to see the sky too ? » added his sister with a big smile.
« They do NOT climb on trees ! Neither reindeer nor reindeer shepherds »