III

They headed towards the newer section of cabins that had been built after the titan war. Some of them were fancier, depending on which god or goddess they represented, but cabin fifteen was not so dramatic. It looked like an old-fashioned prairie house with mud-thatched walls and a rush roof. On the door hung a wreath of crimson flowers - red poppies. 

"You think this is my parent's cabin?" he asked.

"Gods no," Nell snorted "this is the cabin for Hypnos, the god of sleep."

"Then why-"

"You've forgotten everything," Annabeth said. "If there's any god that can help us figure out memory loss, it's Hypnos."

Inside, even though it was almost dinnertime, three kids were sound asleep under piles of covers. A warm fire crackled in the hearth. Above the mantel hung a tree branch, each twig dripping white liquid into a collection of tin bowls. The liquid looked harmless enough, but Nell knew otherwise. Lethe water. 

Soft violin music played from somewhere. The air smelled like fresh laundry. The cabin was so cosy and peaceful. Nell glanced at Jason and saw the boy's eyelids starting to close. He was looking around the empty beds like he was ready to curl up and go to sleep when Annabeth nudged him. "Snap out of it."

Jason blinked. He looked down and realised his knees had been starting to buckle.

"Cabin fifteen does that to everyone," Annabeth warned. "If you ask me, this place is even more dangerous than the Ares cabin. At least with Ares, you can learn where the land mines are."

Nell yawned, " Yeah, but then they just find some other way to keep you away."

"Landmines?"

Annabeth walked up to the nearest snoring kid and shook his shoulder. "Clovis! Wake up!"

The kid looked like a baby cow. He had a blonde tuft of hair on a wedge-shaped head, with thick features and a thick neck. His body was stocky, but his arms were spindly as though he'd never lifted anything more substantial than a pillow.

"Clovis!" Annabeth shook harder, then finally knocked on his forehead about six times.

"Wh-wh-what?" Clovis complained, sitting up and squinting. He yawned hugely, and Annabeth, Jason and Nell yawned too.

"Stop that!" Annabeth said. "We need your help."

"I was sleeping."

"You're always sleeping."

"Goodnight."

Before he passed out, Nell yanked his pillow off the bed.

"That's not fair," Clovis complained meekly. "Give it back."

"Look, help us first," Nell said, hiding the pillow behind her back. "and then I'll give you the pillow back."

Clovis sighed. His breath smelled like warm milk. "Fine. What?"

Annabeth explained about Jason's problem. Every once in awhile she'd snap her fingers under his nose to keep him awake.

Clovis must have been really excited because when Annabeth was done, he didn't pass out. He actually stood and stretched, then blinked at Jason. "So you don't remember anything, huh?"

"Just impressions," Jason said. "Feelings, like..."

"Yes?" Clovis said.

"Like I know I shouldn't be here. At this camp. I'm in danger."

"Hmm. Close your eyes."

Jason glanced at the girls. Annabeth gave him a nod, and Nell gave him a soft smile. He looked apprehensive, as though he was afraid he'd end up snoring in one of the bunks forever, but he closed his eyes.