XX

The plan went wrong almost immediately. Piper scrambled along the ridge, trying to keep her head down, while Leo, Jason, Nell and Hedge walked straight into the clearing.

Jason summoned his golden lance. He brandished it over his head and yelled, 'Giant!' Which sounded pretty good, and a lot more confident than she could have managed.

Enceladus stopped chanting at the flames. He turned toward them and grinned, revealing fangs like a sabre-toothed tiger.

"Well," the giant rumbled. "what a nice surprise."

Nell didn't like the sound of that, she got her bow and quiver ready. She could see Leo out the corner of her eye, edging over toward the bulldozer.

Hedge shouted, "Let the movie star go, you big ugly cupcake! Or I'm gonna plant my hoof right up your -"

"Coach," Jason said. "Shut up." Probably the smart choice.

Enceladus roared with laughter. "I've forgotten how funny satyrs are. When we rule the world, I think I'll keep your kind around. You can entertain me while I eat all the other mortals."

"Is that a compliment?" Hedge frowned at Leo. "I don't think that was a compliment."

Enceladus opened his mouth wide, and his teeth began to glow.

"Scatter!" Leo yelled.

Jason, Nell and Hedge dove to the left as the giant blew fire - a furnace blast so hot even Festus would've been jealous. Keeping a reasonable distance from the fire, Nell stood up and nocked an arrow. She waited until Jason started charging before letting loose, aiming for the eyes. Hedge ripped off his canary yellow jacket, which was now on fire, and bleated angrily. "I liked that outfit!" Then he raised his club and charged, too.

Before they could get very far, Enceladus slammed his spear against the ground. The entire mountain shook, and Nell went flying, her bow flying in one direction and her another. She could see Jason staggering to his feet, but Coach Hedge was knocked out cold. He'd fallen forward and hit his head on a log. His furry hindquarters were sticking straight up, with his canary yellow pants around his knees. It was a view Nell really didn't need to see.

The giant bellowed, "I see you, Piper McLean!" He turned and blew fire at the line of bushes to Leo's right. Piper ran into the clearing like a flushed quail, the underbrush burning behind her. Enceladus laughed. "I'm happy you've arrived. And you brought me my prizes!"

Nell's heart started hammering. This was the moment Piper had warned them about. They'd played right into Enceladus's hands.

The giant must've read Leo's expression because he laughed even louder. "That's right, son of Hephaestus. I didn't expect you all to stay alive this long, but it doesn't matter. By bringing you here, Piper McLean has sealed the deal. If she betrays you, I'm as good as my word. She can take her father and go. What do I care about a movie star?"

She could see Piper's dad more clearly now. He wore a ragged dress shirt and torn slacks, and his bare feet were caked with mud. He wasn't completely unconscious, because he lifted his head and groaned - yep, Tristan McLean all right. Nell had seen that face enough in the movies she used to watch with her grandmother. But he had a nasty cut down the side of his face, and he looked thin and sickly - not heroic at all.

"Dad!" Piper yelled.

Mr McLean blinked, trying to focus. "Pipes...? Where..."

Piper drew her dagger and faced Enceladus. "Let him go!"

"Of course, dear," the giant rumbled. "Swear your loyalty to me, and we have no problem. Only these others must die."

Piper looked back and forth between Leo and her dad.