New job, new life, a fresh start!

"You sure you'll be fine?"

"No, but I don't have a choice... I have to..." She looked at her, worried. "I can't keep depending on you, it's not fair... It's been three months already... And the freelance isn't going well and..."

"Hey, Lu. Chill, it's fine, it doesn't bother me. You're not a burden, ok? Take all the time you need, don't force yourself."

"Thanks, Zay..." She sighed, tearing up a little, her friend hugged her tightly.

"I'll be back late, take care and good luck..." The quetzal girl nodded, taking a deep breath. "Love you" she opened the door.

"Love you, take care and have a nice day..."

"Thanks, same to you" she smiled and left the house, heading to work.

Luoana got up, walking to the kitchen, she couldn't help but think about the problems on her last work. All the times people made her feel less and tiny, how she was uncomfortable there and how she was fired from defending herself. She was scared and nervous that her new job would be the same, should she remain silent if it happened again? Should she just obey without questioning?

No, that meant going backwards, being like the old times, times where she felt miserable and worthless.

Before leaving, she took a shower to calm down. Wearing her uniform, she picked her keys, locked the house and left to the pier, where her new work was waiting for her.

It was a risky decision, working at a place full of kids with her anxiety was the worst idea, but she needed the money and they've already accepted her on the job. She didn't want to keep feeling like a burden for Zaylee, she was her best friend, not her mom.

Still anxious and defensive, she took the bus to Funso's Fun Zone and kept encouraging herself, breathing slowly to keep calm.

It's not like she didn't like kids, but her mental health wasn't ready to deal with tons of them.

"Still, you need the money" she whispered to herself as the huge establishment raised in front of her.

After taking another breath, she walked in, ready to change her life once again.

"Your first day and you're already late, you'll sure be a burden" a big pig said as soon as she went inside. Luoana froze, her heartbeat slowly raising. "Josie, update this girl" a brunette dognose nodded and got closer to her. "Everyone else, to your places. We open in thirty minutes"

"Hey" the girl talked softly, "are you alright?". Luoana let out her breath, not knowing she was holding it and nodded slowly. "Don't mind him, the boss is always like that. Bet you'll have fun here! You like kids, right?"

"Well... I'm good with them, yes... O-Or so I've been told..." She tried to correct herself so she didn't sound like a smug.

"Perfect! Then let me give you a quick tour and tell you about our 'usual costumers'". She giggled, calming Luoana.

The next twenty minutes went by flying, Josie made sure to make the quetzal comfortable and she nailed it.

She ordered every snack by expiration date, she looked up to every kid that needed help or was ignored by their older companions, she even gave 'the usual' to the three ducklings her coworker talked about before.

That left Josie speechless, within a day, Luoana knew what every frequent kid liked and did. Their boss, on the other hand, wasn't so impressed. He kept seeing the girl as a show off and know it all.

"Woah, aren't you amazing?" He said when she marked her exit. "Let's see for how long you can play the 'employee of the month' attitude, girl. You've just started, remember that" and he left, leaving the quetzal speechless.

"You really are amazing!" said Josie, startling her. "If we don't look out, you might take our jobs!" she said, smiling. Luoana looked at her, worried.

"I don't want to, I swear! I just-"

"Hey, chill. It was a joke" she touched her shoulder and smiled even more.

"A-Ah... Sorry..."

"For being this shy and insecure, you sure manage well around so many people" she giggled, leaving the building first.

As soon as she arrived home, she sat down trying to process everything.  If it wasn't for her boss, she'd had quite a great day. Josie was really sweet and, even tho she didn't thought it'd be that way, being around so many kids actually helped her. But it drained so much energy too, maybe her boss was right and she wouldn't last long.

A 'click' sound startled her, interrupting her thoughts. Zaylee was home, right an hour after she arrived. The calupoh girl saw her friend laying on the couch, with worried eyes.

"It was that bad, huh?" she asked, closing the door behind.

"Actually... I-It wasn't" surprised by her own words, she finally smiled. "My boss sure is a pain in my feathers but... It was amazing!" As she kept talking, her excitement grew more and more making her friend smile. "My coworker is amazing! Her name's Josie and she helped me so much, if it wasn't for her I'm sure I'd have a panic attack as soon as I arrived. She made me feel comfy and... Oh! There was this kids! I mean, the whole place had kids but there were three amazing boys called Louie, Huey and Dewey... Even the names are cute! So they..." She suddenly stopped and looked at her friend.

"Please, keep telling me!" She said as soon as she noticed her guilty face.

"You sure? I don't want to bother you, you must be tired from work and you know how I feel about getting too excited..."

"I know, but we talked about this. It's completely fine, I want to hear it!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! I have an idea. Let's order something, as a celebration for your new work!" Her friend smiled softly. "You can tell me about your day and I'll tell you about mine when we eat, ok?"

"Thanks, Zay" she smiled and hugged her.