Starting out, again!

"And that's what happened at work..." she finished, almost without any trace of emotion.

"WHAT THE HECK?!" Zaylee growled, getting Luoana back to reality. "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR BOSS? IMMA GET THAT A-" she stood up, her friend forced her down again.

"Woah, woah. Wait! I'm still processing what happened..." 

"Processing? Girl! There's nothing to process! THAT PLACE ISN'T WHAT YOU THOUGHT! And your boss, YOUR FREAKIN' BOSS!"

"I- I know, but the work..."

"The work?! Lu, being around that sh-... err...  awful pig isn't healthy! And now we know that place isn't safe either..."

"But the kids!"

"If their parents are smart enough, they won't take nor leave them there ever again. And I'm not your mom but I think you should do the same."

"But Zay! I just got this work, we need it and... No one got injured..." She finished, unsure. Making her friend angrier.

"Listen, I won't tell you what to do, but if you really want to be in a better place you need to start taking care of yourself first" she took the dishes to the kitchen, leaving Luoana alone for the rest of the night.

She kept thinking of what happened, how should she react? Quitting her job was the best option, or at least that's what she thought. But what about the kids, the bills?

Laying on her bed, she kept wondering what to do. Luckily for her, the next day was her day off. After a restless night, she went anyway to talk to her boss.

"Told ya you wouldn't last long" he smirked, not showing if he was happy or mad.

"I'm surprised you are..." she mumbled .

"What did you say?" the girl clenched her fists, unsure about what she was about to do.

"I said, I'm surprised you still here" the pig got up, frowning. Her knees trembled a bit but she didn't back down.

"Wh-"

"I should spread the word or sue you..." her words sounded harsh despite the nerves behind them. "What happened yesterday wasn't ok and you let it ran."

"I told y-" he sounded angry, so Luoana raised her voice.

"There was fire, water and a gang of criminals inside a building meant for kids and.... You. Let. That. Happen." despite his frown, he seemed kinda nervous. "You forced your employees to keep working despite everything, you didn't even evacuate the place. You just let it all happen. I don't know the laws of Duckburg, but I'm pretty sure I can sue you for this. I can spread the word about it and make sure you won't have a client, a kid pass through that doors. Why shouldn't I do it? Why shouldn't I do something worse?" her voice sounded scratchy, almost threatening; the pig just stood infront of her, speechless. He was way bigger than her but still felt nervous.

"Will you then?" he managed to say.

"Who knows? I'll do something about it, I swear. Will it be enough to close this place? Idk, for the sake and love the kids have for it... I hope not." She stopped for a while, her boss stood frozen and way more angry that he wanted to show. "Just in case it wasn't clear... I quit. But I'll be back... Funso's Fun Zone, where fun is in the zone, right?" she glanced at him for a few seconds, then left. 

Once outside the building, she started breathing heavily. It was the first time she faced someone and it turned out good. That could've been wrong in too many ways, she tried to control herself so she won't think about it and ran to the closest ice cream shop. Sweets and fresh air were the best combo for her to calm down.

Still anxious, she ordered the biggest Banana Split her empty pockets could buy and sat down, looking at the beautiful pier view. She sighed, what was she supposed to do now? She probably needed to look for a job of her career, but working inside an office was too much for her. She wanted to call Zaylee, but the sudden thought of being a burden crossed her mind.

She had to get a new job and fast, without telling her roommate or, at least, telling her everything once she had a new one. But where and what could she do? There's nothing she'd like not than work and live from what she studied, but she was insecure on what she knew and made. Maybe another tiny place, somewhere with kids, that seemed to be therapeutic for her.

"So... Where do kids usually go?" She whispered, finishing her banana split. That question felt odd and kinda obvious, still she couldn't think of an answer. She got up, ready to go back home. I mean, kids like games... Something like a videogame store? Or something with food?

She looked around and shook her head, anywhere it was it should be far from the pier. On her way home, she kept looking everywhere and noticed how beautiful the city was. Her anxiety kept her distracted all the time, that's when she realized where she was. She was in a new town, alone, living with her bestie... If that was possible, then everything could be!

"Maybe... I should look for something else, more than being a cashier or maitre..." She mumbled, looking at the advertisement in front of her house. One was about a new Waddle phone and, next to it, a TV store had some news about Scrooge McDuck, apparently the richest duck alive.

Suddenly she started laughing "yeah, right. Like if I could be there... I'll look for burger places tomorrow..." She entered the building and sighed. "And I'll stop talking alone too..."

The hours went by, the quetzal got more nervous by every tic the clock made. She lost practice with lies, she'd probably tell everything to Zaylee. A buzz startled her, it was a message.

Hey, I'll be staying with Malia tonight. Hope you don't mind, make sure you lock yourself up and sleep early. Loveya, Zay.

Relieved, she let herself fall into the couch. She didn't have to tell her anything, but she'd have a whole night to think what to do next. Did she even saw a place selling burgers around?

A mexican quetzal in Duckburg || My OCs #1 -MOVED-जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें