chapter 3

It was early in the morning, but not as early as she expected. Sophie checked the time, half asleep thinking it was only 6 am. The clock read 6:58 am. Eyes widening, she hopped out of bed and rushed to get ready for her saturday study classes. Barely making it on time, her weekend started out with immense stress.
3 hours later, her session was finished, but her day had only begun. Her parents were unable to pick her up, leaving her stranded miles away from home. Still, sucking it up and seeing it as an opportunity, she headed towards her residence, planning on stopping by a few stores to pick up some goodies.
Walking in and out of nearby shops, she ended up with a few plastic bags full of snacks. While attempting to open a container of Oreos, she bumped into a tall lean figure on accident, causing her to stumble backwards, dropping all her groceries. She let out a shocked grunt as the figure whirled around, looking down on her with confusion.

"Why is it that you mortals can't seem to use your eyes and feet at the same time?" The stranger said, sighing with an annoyed tone

Sophie quickly got up, surprised at the remark.
When she got on her feet she faced a tall pale man with long, curly, greasy, ebony hair in a very neat dark suit. He had a look of pure disgust on his face and his body language made it clear he was in a rush.
"Oh my god, I'm so sorry I wasn't looking where I was going. Are you okay?" She quickly said dusting herself off. She then realized her scattered mess and quickly leaned down to gather her things, accidentally stumbling onto the mysterious man who, instead of catching her, moved out of the way. She fell on her hands, fortunately, with a small screech.
"Oh geez I'm sorry I hope you're alright!" She said grabbing at her things.
"Oh no worries, you just wasted my precious time is all." He remarked crossing the street without even offering any help.
She watched him strut away and felt uneasy by the way he didn't even look both ways before crossing.
'How rude..' she thought to herself as she sat on the ground slowly filling up the bags.

A couple hours had passed from the weird incident and Sophie was back operating the drive thru station at McDonald's. There weren't as many customers as expected, giving her some free time. But rather than socializing, she kept thinking back to the rude young man at the crosswalk. Although he was mean and completely lacked courtesy, she couldn't get him out of her head. She replayed the scene over and over and got more and more salty. She had apologized to him and he continued guilt tripping her. He could've at least not moved when she tripped or helped her with her groceries! This spark of rage went out of control when she accidentally yelled at her next customer haha oops..

———————————————————
A couple days passed and Sophie was sitting in the library, waiting for her brother to finish his homework and for her parents to pick her up. It wouldn't be for another couple hours.
Already finished with her assignments, she decided to roam around the library in search of new books to read. She was completely engulfed in this quest, burying her nose in a book as she walked back to her table when she bumped straight into someone, dropping her books with a loud thud as everyone around stared and shushed.
"Why is this a common theme for you mortal imbeciles?!" the man shouted.
At that moment she realized who she had just bumped into. The man from the crosswalk.
He swung around with a frown to face her. As he laid eyes on her, his expression changed to shock and... an unknown feeling.

"You again?!" He exclaimed.
"I'm so sorry I didn't mean to!"
"In all seriousness, there must be something very wrong with your coordination."
"N-no I was just so sucked into this book so I just- agh I'm really sorry, it was an accident I swear."

He looked at her with squinted eyes. He sighed and knelt down. She hopped back in shock but then realized he was helping her pick up the books she dropped. Flustered, she just stood and watched until he shot his head up with a strange look.

"Well aren't you going to help me with your mess?"
She snapped out of it and joined him on the floor.
"You obviously have way too much time on your hands."
"S-sorry?"
"I mean, look at all these books!"
Sophie felt uncomfortable.
"Well uhm, do you not like books?"
"No of course I enjoy reading and retaining new information. I'm not an uncultured idiot you know." He chuckled slightly to which she also laughed.
He looked at her. It was strange. Nobody had really laughed with him before. Sure, at him, but never with. What a peculiar experience.
They both stood up and he handed her the books.
"You'd better stay out of my way, mortal." He said with a smirk and walked away again as she continued watching him with curiosity and confusion. What a strange occurrence.

'Did he just call me mortal? What the hell..'