chapter 9

Loki frantically searched for his brother, firmly grasping Sophie's hand, afraid he'd lose her forever if he let go. He knew this was his to fight. But he wouldn't put her life in danger for it, nor anything in the world. He saw his tangled long blonde hair above the red cape, fluttering behind him as he fought an enemy with his ridiculous hammer. Never had Loki been so happy to see him before in his life. "Just a second, dearest." he assured Sophie, quickly letting her hand go as Thor was thrown to the ground. Before he could be struck by the Chitauri's weapon, Loki shot his knife, striking one right in the head. Thor spun around and hustled to his feet.
"Brother! Quick, I need your assista-" Thor struck Loki with his hammer before he could finish, sending him flying back struggling to breathe.
"LOKI!!" Sophie screamed running to his side.
"Don't dare 'brother' me, Loki. After bringing this disaster to the innocent civilians of Midgard and betraying Father, Mother.. Betraying ME!!" Thor shouted, raising his hammer for another blow.
"NO PLEASE!" Sophie stood between the two boys holding out her arms.
Thor stopped in shock and looked at her with utter confusion.
"Do not get meddled in this, mortal, it does not pertain to you!" He yelled, hammer still raised high.
'This must be Loki's jackass brother.' She thought to herself.
"It IS my business, though!! I don't know what Loki started or why, okay?! That I admit, but he saved my life!! He was kind, supportive and protective of me when I thought I was as good as gone!! He betrayed his own kind to help me!" She desperately shouted, tears starting to form again. "And I love him... Please you have to believe me!!" She kept looking back towards him to make sure he was okay. He eventually got to his knees and coughed up a bit of blood.
Thor reluctantly dropped his arm and sighed. Relieved, Sophie ran to Loki's side.
"Hey, you okay?? Does it hurt???" She frantically interrogated the poor man as Thor approached. To both of their surprise, he held out a bulky hand towards Loki. Still slightly coughing, Loki took it and was raised to his feet. Sophie quickly got up, ready to kick Thor in the balls if he tried anything. Instead, he dusted his brother off and lightly gave his shoulder a manly pat.
"My apologies, brother. For striking you just now, and for having been such a pest back in Asgard. I didn't know you had it in you to fall in love and develop attachment. Forgive me." He said wholesomely.
Loki sighed, finally composed and breathing normal. "I accept your apology, dear brother. On one condition." Thor tilted his head in curiosity. "Take her and keep her safe. This is my battle to fight." He said quietly, hoping Sophie wouldn't hear, which unfortunately wasn't the case.
"WHAT??" She frantically looked at Loki and at Thor as Loki quickly pulled her to the side.
He slightly bent down to meet her shocked teary eyes with his own.
"Sophie, my love, please, go with my brother and take cover" he said trying to calm his distressed and now crying maiden. "He'll keep you safe and sound, shh hush dearest don't cry.." he said as softly as possible.
"NO I WON'T LEAVE YOU NO YOU CAN'T MAKE ME-" she protested lightly pounding his chest with her fist, when he pulled her into an abrupt hug. His breath was quick as he, too, was tearing up from the thought of leaving her. But he couldn't show it. She sobbed into his chest as he buried his face in her neck tightly closing his eyes, hoping his tears would stop flowing.
Thor watched in sadness. To see his brother truly care for someone other than himself was quite a sight, he felt tears form in his own eyes.
Loki then planted a rough kiss on her forehead and wiped her tears away. She looked at him with her large brown eyes, flooded with tears. Though she was crying, she was beautiful.
"Now, when I return to you, Sophie my love, I promise I'll plant another kiss, but instead, on your soft luscious lips. Promise me you'll stop crying and trust me with this, hm?" He asked calmly with uncontainable love. She silently nodded her head and smiled at him. He pulled her into another tight hug, as she also squeezed back.
"I love you, Sophie." He whispered one last time as he headed into the cluster of appalling amphibian men.
Sophie stood for a second, attempting to collect herself and return to an alert and sane state. Thor approached her, worried he'd upset her.
"Young maiden, I'm Thor, as erm Loki might have mentioned.. Uh, ah yes I'll keep you safe. I promised my brother and I promise you as well. Now if you don't mind, let us get going into cover." He said awkwardly, still trying to maintain his heroic form. Right then, she punched him straight in the face as he writhed in pain.
"That's for being a douchebag, dickhead, jerkface brother!" She shouted, feeling a bit better and more confident.
He was a bit annoyed, but of course he couldn't do anything about it haha. He just awkwardly chuckled. "My apologies, brave spirit." He laughed as she also joined in with light chuckling. He held her and retreated to a safe place.