6 6

As soon as Hyungwon stepped foot into Wonho's ward the older could see that the younger had already been crying. But the sobs came moments later, those were the ones he didn't expect. He also didn't expect him to rip himself off Shownu's grasp only to then disappear behind the doors.

Wonho called—yelled— for him to come back. Hell, he had completely forgotten the state he is in after seeing the younger. What hurts him the most is knowing that Hyungwon couldn't even directly look him in the eyes. Wonho was ready to get up and run after him but he couldn't when the pain in his body restricts him back to which he shouts a few curses. Kihyun gets up and holds him back, carefully putting him back to lay on the hospital bed.

He knew—he fucking knew he couldn't chase after Hyungwon, not in this state but still, he wanted to try, even if he falls he still wanted to hold the younger in his arms and reassure him that he is okay. Even though injured and bruised, he is still okay.

But he couldn't.

"I'll go get him," Shownu tells them then runs off to retrace Hyungwon's steps.

"Fuck!" Wonho screams another time as he throws his left fist on the bed below him before eliciting another array of curses from the pain of doing that. Kihyun places both his hands on Wonho's right hand (that's in a cast) to stop him from injuring himself any further.

"Don't hurt yourself," Kihyun tells him sadly, understanding the frustration and sadness from both Wonho and Hyungwon's end.

"What—happened?" Wonho rasps out.

"You got into—"

"Not me," he clarifies. "To Minhyuk—What happened to him?" Kihyun hesitates and Wonho can clearly see that which in all honesty he didn't have the patience for anymore. "I know he passed away. But how exactly? Because I know for a fact that Hyungwon wouldn't react the way he did unless something really bad happened before triggered something." Kihyun ends up sighing, fully knowing he can't dodge this now.

"A car accident—just like yours—but he didn't make it..."

Kihyun takes a few breathers as that faithful day slowly comes back to him. He remembers how he had gotten the late-night call from Hyungwon who was crying nonstop. He can remember how his words were barely coherent enough to make up what he was trying to say that the taller male had to pass the phone over to a nurse nearby. He can never forget the look on Hyungwon's face that night and he remembers the vivid moment when he saw Minhyuk hooked up to all those wires, watching in horror how there was barely a dent in his heart monitor. And Kihyun most certainly will never forget the most heartwrenching cry Hyungwon made when the doctor told them to make the most heartbreaking decision.

"He was coming back from his studio when a drunk driver hit him. He was brain dead when he arrived here and it was the hardest decision for us to take him off life support knowing he had no chance of survival."

Wonho's heart sinks even more than it already did. This explains his reaction and honestly, he cannot imagine the pain Hyungwon and everyone else has to go through to watch someone they love slip away just like that. This makes sense why Hyungwon was always hesitant with him driving at night and why he literally would hug the older so tight whenever Wonho did decide to drop by Hyungwon's house.

"I'm so sorry."

"This crushed him," Kihyun croaks as a tear trails down his cheek. "Hyungwon—he had always blamed himself for everything that has happened; pulling the plug on Minhyuk is one of them even when it was our collective decision to do so. He's just so broken now and never was the same after that."

It's not just Hyungwon who has truly been so deeply affected by this.

It is like a domino effect; Minhyuk's passing led to the downfall of Hyungwon and this downfall not only worries his friends, but it also brings them down together because they share and understand this pain as well. Everyone is hurting and Wonho knows that just by him being here is triggering enough of those horrid memories to resurface.