xiv. bloody brotherly instinct

BLOODY BROTHERLY INSTINCT !

. . .

Avery had been engrossed in Professor Flitwick's teaching when she caught some unexpected movements from the corner of her eye. Her seat was next to the window on the second floor, and they were pretty high up. It seemed strange for something to be hovering behind the window. After checking whether Flitwick was still busy enough not to take notice of her, she leaned closer to the window to examine what it was. She jumped in her seat when she discovered it was, in fact, a small, brown-flecked owl flapping its wings on the other side of the glass, which was tilting its head and looked right at her with round eyes.

Avery counted herself lucky that she had chosen to sit in the back of the classroom, so professor Flitwick wouldn't turn around at her slightest movement. She leaned over and, careful not to make too much noise, opened the window just enough for the owl to perch himself on the windowsill. With a cautious glance towards the front of the classroom, Avery untied the little note from the owl's leg, gave it a pat on its feathers and sent it off.

After having closed the window, she leaned over her table, keeping herself and the note low so she wouldn't catch any uncalled-for attention, and folded the paper open, recognising the scrawny handwriting immediately. She sighed audibly and smoothed the crinkled parchment with her fingers before reading.

Avery,

We'll be expecting you in the kitchens during lunch, to discuss our order of operations in private.

Please ensure no one follows you there.

Weasley & Weasley

Her movements may not have attracted Flitwick's attention, but they had caught the eye of a new acquaintance. Benjamin Graham occupied the seat next to her and nudged her arm.

'What's that?' he asked.

Avery turned towards him and grinned.

'A note. From the Weasley twins, asking to see me.'

The boy's eyebrows nearly disappeared in his hairline.

'To see you? Both of them? Is that not a little too much─' he motioned wildly with his hands to indicate what he meant, 'you know?'

Avery couldn't help but laugh at this.

'Too much Weasley energy? I know what you mean.' She grinned.

'Forgive me for asking, but are you like... Seeing-seeing them?' He shifted uneasily in his seat.

'Oh,' she exclaimed, surprised. 'Heavens, no! It's not like that! Do you take me for someone who'd date them both at the same time?' she asked incredulously and slightly hurt that he would make that assumption.