Chapter 1: Mission Accepted

It was raining when it all began for her.

Amber was sitting on the beige couch, her head thrown back and arms spread to both sides, and trying to relax. The ex-assassin had been through a lot, recently, so she was tired; tired of being unemployed for a week, tired of being misunderstood, tired of being left alone and being betrayed the person with whom she'd been intimately close.

She, closing her eyes, put her forefinger and thumb to the bridge of her nose and rubbed it. The woman only wanted some peace, and Seattle's heavy rain didn't help at all.

As if to add to the cacophony that already bothered her, her phone started ringing. Obviously annoyed, Amber took it and put it against her ear, without glancing once at the caller Id. "Hello?" She said aloud, her voice coming out hoarse.

"Miss Winters..." A deep male voice came from the other side. Amber had known this voice - it was very recognisable, making her sit up straight and alert. The voice continued, "Miss Winters, this is very sudden and out of the blue, we know, but we are in need of your dexterity."

The ex-assassin scoffed. "Oh, yeah?"

The voice continued without addressing her comment, "There has been a group located in an island nearby, Martinique to be precise. Apparently, they run "experiments", obviously, illegally and have been successfully continuing their sadistic deeds..."

"...and you want me to assassinate the one in control and the entire group, is that it?"

"That is what we want, yes."

Amber breathed heavily. "There are a lot of other assassins," started she, "for your mission. Why choose me? I've been fired for "breaking" a rule after all." The ex-assassin concluded with a hint of sarcasm.

"Well, no one has accepted the mission. And you were the best we had."

"And why should I give a fuck?"

Amber expected the reply to come quick, almost immediately. But what followed her question was a few seconds of silence which was then broken by that same male voice, "Because you want closure."

And the only thing she heard after that was the constant sound of Seattle's heavy rain and the phone hanging up.

*****

"How long until we get there?"

"About five minutes more, miss Winters, please have patience." The pilot replied to the former.

Upon hearing the reply for the umpteenth time, a very visibly impatient Amber leaned back into her seat, crossing her arms and legs, a sour expression resting on her face. She tilted her head to the side and peered out of the helicopter to be met with the view of puffs of whiteness, like cotton balls. They were flying above the clouds to avoid any sort of detection and reach Martinique without any sort of fuss.

The serenity, that was created by the sight of the white clouds, was broken by a sudden noise; the ex-assassin had started ticking her boot on the floor - which had been a habit of hers for long - out of impatience. Even when she was working as an assassin, she could never get used to the waiting game of getting to her destination. She liked getting things done fast and hated slow things.

A familiar voice almost startled the ex-assassin. "Eden."

Damn that voice, Amber thought silently. That voice, which belonged to a man, almost came out as purr when it pronounced her middle name. The man had already called out to Amber before, by her first name, but she hadn't responded. Finally, after the umpteenth time, she responded, the words almost being spat out like poison, "What?"

"Ah, you're still sensitive to me calling you 'Eden'." The man smirked, an action which Amber couldn't see, for she hadn't turned around. But she didn't need to; she could literally hear his smirk in his voice. "Some things never change, do they?"

That man stopped; maybe he was expecting some sort of response from the ex-assassin, but it was in vain. She didn't show the slightest amount of movement, as if she hadn't heard him at all, as if she hadn't just response to him calling her "Eden"...

So, he continued, "Of course, there are things that do change. Like, our relationship or you getting kicked out or..." he paused, realizing he was moving away from the reason why he had brought up the subject with a Disney song, "Well, you get the thing. But does that mean we can't change that back, again? Does that have to mean that we'd be apart?"

"The fuck do you mean, Jacob?" Amber finally shot back at him, her eyes - which had the same color as her name - penetrating his grey ones.

Jacob walked in front of her and bent down till his mouth brushed against her ear. Then he, very sensually, whispered, "You know what I mean. I miss you, Eden, let's get back together."

Two things happened at the same time; Jacob moved his mouth towards hers while moving one hand, that was on her waist before, towards her soft and firm breasts. At the same time, Amber put her hands on his chest and violently pushed him away. When she saw that he was caught off guard, she scoffed, "After what you've done, you expect me to just take you back and make out?"

Amber stood up and held her ex-boyfriend, who still hadn't recovered from the sudden blow, by his collar, looking straight at him. "You piece of shit." She growled, "Who the fuck do you think you are? You think you can dump me like a piece of cake and come back to me so that I can suck your dick? No, you motherfucker. You messed up. And you know what? I'm glad you did. Because you were a waste of my time. And I hope you rot in hell."

With one last blow, the ex-assassin let go of Jacob, who, even after the intimidating behavior of her deadly and dangerous ex-girlfriend, dared to open his filthy mouth, "I hope so too, so we can rot together."

If not for the pilot who had called Amber right then, she possibly could have murdered Jacob as she had the urge to. The man, with whom she had dreamt of spending her entire life during their six months of relationship, was the same man who dumped her without any mercy like she was this disposable little thing. Clearly, that filled hate and anger inside of her; how could she ever forgive him for his behavior? He'd humiliated her, made fun of her and threatened her. What happened to his want of getting back together when she broke down in front of him?

Deep down, however, there was still a part of her that ached for that bastard's love, his sensual caresses, his intimate touches when they spent many nights together in one bed. Part of her couldn't get rid of the fact that she still felt something for him - which was lust more than love - even after two weeks. But part of her knew that she shouldn't let those feelings take control. What he did was unacceptable and she would never stand that ever again. She'd fight her feelings as much as possible, she wouldn't let them win.

Amber put all of these thoughts aside and addressed the pilot, the same one who called her right when she was about to burst. "What is it?" asked she.

"We're here, up above Martinique, Miss Winters. Would you use the rope to get down or...?"

"I'll use the rope." The ex-assassin interrupted before the pilot could finish but he didn't object and soon Amber had set her foot on the beautiful island.

♤♡◇♧

Word Count: 1292