Chapter 2: Madinina

Madinina; Island of flowers. A very suitable nickname for the beautiful island Martinique.

The island, a Caribbean one, was abundant with flowers. Naming just a few colorful and intriguing flowers wouldn't even make up 1% of all the species of flowers that supported the island.

At first, all the color the island had hurt Amber's eyes. She could never get used to the bright and pretty views of flowers and liked unsaturated and muted things. However, even she couldn't deny the beauty of the flora of Martinique. "Oleander... Orchids... Bougainvillea..." Amber recalled while appreciating mother nature.

As much she wouldn't like to admit, she "kind of" got distracted from her original task. No, Amber, focus. She told herself as she turned away from the beautiful views and headed into the luxurious tropical forest inland. The ex-assassin could feel sticks and branches of bamboo, along with other trees, poking and cutting her skin but she couldn't see very clearly; the sun had already set and the thick forest prevented even the moonlight from touching the ground.

"Oh, shit...!" Amber cursed under her breath as she lost her balance and almost tripped, "Gotta be more careful. Damn, I can't even see properly."

It felt like ages to Amber as she walked. It wasn't until about an hour that she realised she could have been lost. She thought she had memorized her destination. Boy, was I wrong...

Suddenly, she felt a soft breeze behind her, interrupting her thoughts. It was almost as if someone was breathing heavily but without any sound as the ex-assassin was sure she hadn't heard anyone creeping up on her, at all. It being her natural instincts, she spun around with a gun already in her hand.

Amber stared into the darkness for a few seconds before going forward again. Might have been my mista-

Crash!

At first, Amber was confused. She'd squirmed and put her hands forward onto the ground after realizing she was completely horizontal. But why did the ground feel soft and like a sweater? Moreover, why was the ground moving as if it was alive?

It took her a second to understand what had happened. Amber, while looking behind in suspicion, had collided with someone in the dark and fell on top of that person, who, she assumed from the masculine features she'd felt, was a man. Her assumptions were proven correct when she pushed her body up and away a few inches from the stranger's chest and somewhat distinguished, through the veil of darkness, a vague vision of a man with blond hair and slight beard, staring right at her. She could feel beneath her, the woolen sweater, a pair of jeans and... what was that weird bulge that was where the sweater ended...?

It was at this point that Amber realized she'd been staring for too long. She immediately stood up, the man following suit, and apologized, "Sorry about that." The ex-assassin dusted herself a bit even though she fell on top of a human...

"It's okay." A somewhat hollow yet deep voice, which seemed soar, came in response.

Amber felt that was the end of it so she went past the man, proceeding on with her mission. A very deep silence fell which was suddenly cut by the same man's voice, stopping Amber in her tracks, "Why are you running around in this forest at this time of the night?"

The ex-assassin ignored the stranger's question and started walking, but she was interrupted by that stranger blocking her way from the front all of a sudden - which didn't make sense to Amber; even though it was dark, she could tell by hearing his breathing and no sound of footsteps approaching her that he was standing still behind her, so how did he just appear in front of her?

"What are you doing here?" The stranger asked again.

Amber opened her mouth to say "none of your business" but closed it immediately as an idea popped in her head. Instead she said, "Well, I'm lost at the moment." Which she was in the darkness.