Chapter One

*before you start reading the previous Engagement have you read the first book in the Islanders series The Act. If you haven't add it to your reading list and thank me later*
Sending love and positive vibes your way

                     - Mide Yussuff

Sometimes my mind goes a little too far. Sometimes I just sit down and think about the weirdest things that could happen. For instance, what would happen if I were in love with two brothers or what would happen if I were in love with my step brother even though I don't have one. This thoughts mostly came when I am on the toilet or when I am in the middle of filling my face up with junks in front of the TV or when I am trying my best to fall asleep. I did miss Prince Harry even though I hated to admit it. I miss thinking of him whenever I was trying to sleep. I had divided the storyline into episodes. I reviewed a new one every night before I fell asleep like it was a television series I had to keep up with. I had gotten to the part of us having a one night stand and me getting pregnant with triplets that had his piercing blue eyes and soft red hair. The tabloids speculated but only us knew but then Megan came and swept him off his feet leaving me to my sleepless nights while shattering not only my heart but the hearts of many- many women like me. I could have chosen to continue with my imaginations but it just felt weird now that he was married. How would I feel if I knew a woman somewhere was day dreaming about doing stuffs with my husband.
"Miss Olateru, Ola, Miss Olateru" the firm voice of my client had tapped me out of my thoughts and suddenly I was aware of where I was again. I looked around the courtroom as everyone seemed to be looking at me. How long was I out?.

" Are you going to defend this case or do you need your alone time" My very- very evil-evil client, Mr Demola Yahaya whispered to me. I mean he was innocent in terms of the case as far as I know but he was the devil himself with his expressionless face and his smirk and smart intimidating words.
"Yes,yes" I quickly adjusted my rope and my barrister wig. As I stood up, I tried scrambling the paper on the table before me together. I cleared my throat and stepped out and approached the judge "my lord"
I had zoned out. This I usually did during Sunday family dinners where my parents chose to pour out their minds about my marital status or choice of career.

"Ola, you are 29, 29" my mother would yell in the middle of the dinner.
"Lord, God provide the love of a partner... a man preferably to the one on this table tonight who has none, 29 years ooo lord and no man to show for it, lord provide" my mother would add in her prayer at the beginning of every family dinner before she and my dad start to praise my younger siblings about the lives they are living or the career path they chose.
"Who does that, a lawyer. Four generations of doctors and you broke the cycle" my father would say before going ahead to talk "medicine and healing" with my siblings.

I always rose above this accusations by zoning out. As do I whenever I am on a blind date with a friend of a friend, a friend from a dating app, a son of my mother's friend, a random stranger my mom saw and thought I would like. She would always look out for young men whenever she went to aso-ebi parties.

"Don't you fear that your friends will assume you are looking for a sugar baby" I asked under my breath at a family dinner, on a Sunday evening. I and my mom were always at it. I alone had the mind to talk back, not because I didn't fear her but because I just get too exhausted for her drama sometimes.

"No, nobody assumes rubbish. Everyone knows I have a old unmarried woman for a child. And more over I am always with my husband-so what is causing the assumptions" she would clap back at me

"It is like you don't know what is happening outside" my youngest sibling, Jide had said with a smile on his face as he reached out for the bowl of chicken. "You being with your husband is only adding sauce to the pepper soup". He is a student in the University of Lagos studying Medicine, obviously ( I already said I was the bad blood) but he was allowed to do his music on the side. The things parents take from their last child.
Mom had eyed him for not supporting her and had reached for the bowl before him and took it further away from his reach. His smile quickly disappeared.

More back and forth arguing between I and the lawyers on the plaintiffs side and the judge looked very exhausted. It showed clearly on his face that he wanted nothing more but to leave the court room as soon as possible. I enjoyed being a lawyer. I enjoyed having to spend the day in a court arguing to tears with my opponent only to hangout afterwards. The war never left the court room or it never left the case. Once the case was over the beef was over. But today, my stupid Ex was the one representing so I really had to win not only for me or my client but for my Ego, my Pride.... for women everywhere!.

————————————————————————-
I know you are really enjoying this book. Thank you for the support but please don't forget to drop a comment and vote for this story.
Thanks in advance.