Chapter Twenty One

By the time we got home that day, the house had been swept for hidden cameras and other bugging devices.
I had made sure they worked extra in the nursery as I stood there supervising them.
Demola had assured me about our safety. He had put extra guards out on patrol. Tobi had ordered some of his guards too to follow us home. Grandfather also released some guards to us as well.

     I would wake up on some nights and look out the window out of worry. One night, Demola had come up behind me and whispered in my ear "We are safe"
     As reassuring as his words were I couldn't help but feel we weren't. That the danger was very near.

     As the final months of my pregnancy came, it became more and more stressful to do basic things.    
        During the final months I hardly went out of bed. When Demola wasn't there to help out, Jo would be by my side. We had hired a mid-wife who lived in with us and taught me things that I needed to know in caring for the baby. We had been under consultation with a birthing team that my dad was on.
    Almost everybody took turns coming to babysit  me. The Adegeshin Sisters had come for a few days followed by my mom and Deborah who stayed for a week then kept dropping in from time to time.
    Ibukun came last and stayed for a month her baby daddy who had just proposed had gone on a business trip. Having her and the baby around made me extra anxious to meet my children.
       My tummy has grown so big that I only saw my legs whenever I was on the bed. Demola would help me massage my legs whenever he came home. We had felt one of the babies kick for the first time on one of those nights. The first kicked then the second and the third. We had studied the baby enough to know which one moved according to what. The first moved a lot  when there was a song playing. The second and Third moved whenever their father was around.

       He wasn't feeling safe with the nursery that he decided to get rid of everything we had bought for the babies by donating them. We moved the nursery and reordered everything we had bought in threes.

       On the fifth day of the eight month, I felt a sharp pain. I sat up in bed as fast as I could and woke Demola up. I groaned in pain again and he stood up quickly.
     "Are the babies coming? he asked as I groaned. We had been preparing for a an early birthing
    "Help me up" I urged him
He ran to my side of the bed and held on to me as he helped me up. 
    I stood up with his help and water gushed out from between my legs.
  We looked at each other. "It's definitely time"
      He quickly picked a shirt and wore it over his head And ran back to my side.
     I looked at how much he tried to act calm despite how nervous he was.

"Deep breathes okay" he said as he held on to my shoulder.
  He lifted me into his arms and carried me down the stairs. He made me sit on one of the arm chairs in the foyer before he started calling out to Jo, Nena and Sandra. He ordered Sandra to take some of the other maids with her to the room and bring the boxes we had packed down for each baby for the hospital. Jo took over on calming me down. Nena called the birth medical team as she timed my contractions. I would groan in pain from time to time. When Sandra came with the boxes and they  loaded it in the car and Demola led me out.
     He held on to my hand the whole ride to the hospital. By the time we got there my contractions were four minutes apart and lasted for a minute. I had started to cry as I groaned in pain. Demola would brush my hair from time to time as I cursed at him. My dad was already at the hospital with my mom when we got there.
      I was rushed into the delivery room immediately we got to the hospital. The doctor had checked my dilation and had decided it was time.
       "You just need to follow my instructions and this will go as we planned okay" The doctor said as he sat on the stool at the end of the bed. He was looking between my legs but I was in too much pain to feel shy. "You are sure you don't need an epidural?" He asked for the last time
    I nodded as I groaned. I held on very tight to Demola's hand as I screamed.
    Demola was the only one I had allowed into the Labour room. There was a midwife and neonatal doctor for the first baby inside with us as well as two nurses and Nena who stood in as the guiding mid wife.
    "Push" the doctor said loudly.
   All I can remember was pushing and crying as Demola held on to me and whispered encouraging words from time to time.
"fuck" I yelled as I pushed very hard. I laid back on the bed crying when I heard a baby cry.
     They had placed the baby on my chest "it's a boy" Demola said as tears rolled down his eyes
     "Oh God, my baby" I said between sobs. Demola kissed me before the doctor called him to cut the  placenta cord. A midwife came and took the baby from me. 
     I stared at her and the neonatal doctor go with the baby. The second set of midwife and neonatal doctor came in.
     I felt my body get numb as the immediate need to sleep consumed me. I felt myself fall asleep

DEMOLA
    "Ola wake up!" I yelled as I slapped softly on her cheek "wake up" her body was getting relaxed and she had only given birth to one of the babies.
       "Push" the midwife yelled when she saw Ola open her eyes to look at me.

          An hour later and the remaining two babies were born. All three babies were born thirty minutes apart.
     Ola had fallen asleep the moment they took the last baby away from her. A girl and two boys.
   I could never thank her enough for making me the happiest man in the world.
    I had gone to the NICU to check on the children.

     "They are all fine" her father had said after he had gone in to check on them. I made sure Nena didn't leave their side in the NICU.
        After a few minutes they woke Ola up to feed the children. She had to pump so that they could all have a taste of the first milk she produced.

"Thank you" I said before kissing her "thank you"
     To feed them I had to carry the baby girl while her mom carried one of the boys and she carried the other.
    She was so tired that she hardly stayed awake for long. When she was awake she cuddled all three children to her chest.

       Ola was moved to a private ward while the babies stayed in the NICU till they were confirmed healthy enough. She didn't agree to leave the hospital if she wasn't leaving with the babies . I would drop in to see them in the morning before going about my day and at night before going home.     
     After a month and two weeks we were cleared to take the babies home. After a week we did the naming ceremony at Grandfathers place. He had chosen names for them Doyin after Olas Maternal Grandmother, Damola Jnr and Dami Jnr after my father.

      OLA
    I had finally started to get a hang of taking care of the three babies thanks to Demola and the three babysitters that were on standby for each baby.
     Family members dropped in from time to time. My babies grew by the day.
      By christmas our children turned three months old. We gave the babysitters and some Maids a week off from Christmas till new year. Sandra had stayed back willingly. She admitted she had gotten use to the babies.
         When we got back home from the new year celebration at grandfather's, I bathed the kids with Demola's help. I loved the family moments we shared. I had kept one camera in the bathroom, on in our room and one in the nursery to take pictures that would fill our family album.
    After putting them to sleep in the nursery, we went to our room. I was taking a shower when Demola stepped in behind me. He hugged me from behind and started to kiss my neck as he fondled my breasts
   I stood on my toes as I parted my legs to give him way. He slid himself inside me and stroked slowly as  he placed my hands on the bathroom wall, I arched my back.
     This was our first time since the kids had been born. He turned me around and lifted me in his arms. We kissed passionately as he strolled out of the bathroom. He placed me on the bed and disappeared between my legs for some minutes before coming up again to kiss me.

"I have missed you so much" he said as he planted kisses on the side of my face while he used his fingers to stroke me. I moaned as I held his hand in place.
      I sat up and caressed his chest before urging him to relax as I sat over him. I sat on his full length and I rode him like one would a stallion. He was my stallion.
     We had gone on to climax a total of three times before we fell asleep in each other arms. I woke up in the middle of the night due to the cries I heard through the baby monitor but Demola was already up.
     He wore a pajamas and a long overall robe. I slipped into a short night dress I had planned on wearing that night before our spontaneity. The night shifts wasn't a one person job, we knew that now that the babysitters weren't around.
       Each baby cried differently I knew that much, from what I heard only two babies were crying. I was afraid to think the worse maybe she was sleeping.
       The nursery door was opened when we came out of our room. "What!" I said softly as I rushed towards it quickly.
     I didn't look at floor as I rushed in and I fell down.  I looked at my hand that was covered in blood. "What" I turned back to look at where the blood was coming from.
    Sandra laid dead on the floor of the nursery. I gasped at the sight of her body and tried to get away as tears ran down my eyes. I stood up quickly despite how terrified I was by Sandra's death and ran over to the cot that stood beside each-other. Doyin's cot stood in the middle of her brothers.
       I went straight to Doyin's cot to my suspicion she wasn't there. As I stood there in shock, Demola came behind me and held me.
       There was a note in her cot I picked it up and opened it "You wouldn't mind if I borrowed one" the letter said. 
           I fainted to the cry of my other children crying.