Chapter 5

Falconpaw awoke to having her tail stepped on. She jumped out of her nest with a yelp of pain and turned around to see Quickpaw standing there.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there," she shrugged and strode out of the den.

"Hmph." What the heck?! What did I ever do to her? Falconpaw's fur rose on her neck. She forced it down with some difficulty and walked out of the apprentice den into camp. Quickpaw was nowhere to be seen. What is wrong with her? Falconpaw shrugged and selected a lapwing out of the fresh-kill pile. She quickly ate it and then looked around for her mentor. Longbreeze was stretching outside of the warriors' den. Falconpaw bounded over to Longbreeze.

"What are we doing today?" Falconpaw asked eagerly.

"You are collecting moss with Wingpaw while I'm on patrol."

"Aww, gophers."

"Would you rather clean out the nursery?"

"No thanks!"

---------------------

Falconpaw strode through the grass, slightly ahead of Wingpaw. They were near the pond, but closer to the lake.

"Look, a mossy rock," Wingpaw said. Both of the apprentices padded over to the rock. Falconpaw went on the opposite side of the rock of Wingpaw. As they started scraping moss off with their claws, the apprentice started to talk.

"So, what's the thing between you and Quickpaw?"

"Don't ask me, she's been a grump ball lately for no reason!"

"Are you sure that it's for no reason?"

"I don't know, I didn't start it."

"That's odd."

"I know. I wonder why she's been acting like this."

"When did she start acting hostile towards you?"

"Uh, since the last gathering, I think."

"What could have happened there that might have caused Quickpaw to act like this?"

"I don't know. All we did was listen to the gathering and talk to some apprentices beforehand."

"Who did you talk to?" Wingpaw looked like she was getting onto something.

"Some AspenClan apprentices. I think there might have been a CliffClan apprentice too."

"What did you talk about?"

"Oh, I don't remember."

"Wait, were one of the apprentices brown?" Wingpaw suddenly asked.

"Two," Falconpaw said slowly.

"Light brown?"
"One."

"I think Quickpaw is jealous," Wingpaw said.

"What?! Why?" Falconpaw said with shock in her voice.

"Well, the tom seemed to like you more..."

"So you're telling me Quickpaw is JEALOUS because she is MADLY IN LOVE with an ASPENCLAN TOM?!" Falconpaw gasped.

"Err, yes?"

"And the ASPENCLAN TOM likes ME?!"

"I... I guess so-"

"Oh StarClan, why is this about an ASPENCLAN TOM in the first place?!"

"Falconpaw, just... please calm down."

Falconpaw took some deep breaths.

"Ok, I'm mostly fine now."
The apprentices started to gather the moss they collected. Falconpaw suddenly jerked up.

"I need to go find Quickpaw!" Without further warning, Falconpaw took off across the grassy hill, leaving a moss pile behind her.

"Wait! Come back!" Wingpaw called after her.

Falconpaw was already over the crest of the hill.

"Aww, bunny tails," Wingpaw groaned. "Now I have to take all of this back to camp myself!"