Chapter 5 - Money? Power? Home? Yes Please!

Things are about to get ugly. Comment and vote please :) x

  As I re-entered the club, I desperately attempted to slow my heartbeat down and re-adjust myself. The thumping beat of the bass music pounded in my ears and I feel like I’m about to pass out. No, that would cause a scene, and I couldn’t afford to draw any kind of attention right now – wanted or otherwise – because I’ve just got to get out of here.

  I made a nuisance of myself through the thick writhing crowd of sweating bodies and was almost at the door when a waiter stood in my way. I would’ve even welcomed a bouncer wanting to check my ID then mercilessly throw me out than a waiter standing there expectantly.

  I sucked breath through my teeth and tried to put on my best ‘patient face’, ‘Yes…?’

  ‘Excuse me, someone at the bar would like to buy you a drink.’

  ‘Tell him I’m not interested.’ A curt reply, good. Now please get out of my damn way.

  ‘He insists.’ He said with a meaningful stare and put his arm around my shoulders and ushered me back. I was just about to protest when two men in black showed up beside the waiter without a word and escorted me right to the bar. I was confused and anxious to escape the ever so noisy bar when I caught sight of the man sitting at the bar.

  I knew he was the one because he was the only one sitting down, while everybody else sort of formed a protective circle around him, the stance was almost… obedient.

  Who was he?

  As I slowly approached, he looked up from the glass of martini he was nursing in his hand and looked me up and down. I had an overwhelming urge to put my arms in front of my chest while I closely studied his features. Light blue eyes, blond hair, square jaw, late-thirties, black suit… Very handsome looking. But definitely not the type that I’d be interested in. And I doubt that he brought me here for wooing me. Looked like I was in real shit.

  He was still looking at me, those ice blue eyes held something in them. A dark secret, a deceitful agenda. I wasn’t sure. I felt like I was an animal at the zoo, being examined by crowds of kids and being pointed and laughed at. He couldn’t have seen…? No. That’s impossible. I made sure that no one followed me when I dumped the body in the back alley. Yes it will be in the news and police will be after me but I was hoping I could get out of town before they got on my trail.

  He put the wine glass down, and leaned in close, only a few inches away from my face. The coldness in his eyes was magnified and I felt chill run down my spine, I tried not to blink as I basked in his uncomfortable presence and the overpowering aroma of his CK aftershave. I almost gagged because it was the exact same one my father used.

  His next words paralysed me from head to the tip of my toe. My mouth became instantly dry and a huge lump formed in my throat.

  ‘I know what you did.’

  ‘S-so…?’ I stammered nervously, trying not to lose my cool. What do we here have here, a mysterious man blackmailing me, saying that he just saw me kill someone, and all I could come up with was ‘So?’ How juvenile and utterly idiotic!

  He sat back in his bar stool and smirked at me with satisfaction, while I stood there contemplating what I should do next. Make a bolt for the door? No, his lap-dogs would catch me. Beg for mercy and pledge myself to him? No, that would be prostitute-like. All of these thoughts ran through my mind in the space of 3 seconds, fortunately what he said next made me relax a little, if that was even possible.

  ‘Don’t look so worried, sweetheart. I promise I won’t tell a soul.’ He finished with taking a swig of wine, threw his head back and laughed as he watched me trying to process it and choose whether to believe him or not.

  ‘Then what do you want from me?’ I said quietly. There was nothing I could do since all the leverage is at his disposal.

  ‘How rude of me, I didn’t even introduce myself. My name is Jonathan Hawthorne. You are?’

  ‘Aria.’ As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I wanted to clamp my hand over it. Why did I give him my real name? What was wrong with me?

  ‘I admire you, Aria. There’s something about you that I really like.’ He said slowly, never taking that slick grin off.

  I remained silent, passive, because I didn’t want to open my mouth and say the wrong thing which could turn the table around. All I wanted was to live.

  He saw that I chose to shut my mouth, he raised an eyebrow and continued, ‘Here’s the deal, I tell no one about your little… episode back there, and you do something for me in return. Does that sound fair?’

  I was sceptical, why would he suggest something like that? With leverages like that, he could blackmail me for thousands and thousands of dollars which I didn’t have. I didn’t really have much else.

  ‘It will have to depend on what it is.’

  ‘I had a feeling you would say that .He clapped his hands together, and the chunky gold ring on his ring finger caught the light. He must be reasonably rich considering the ring and what looked like an Armani suit. ‘I want you to come and work for me.’

  I couldn’t believe my ears…

  ‘You see, Aria. There’s something about you, something that could make you a very powerful woman. You just need a little guidance and training. And a place to belong isn’t that what you want – Money? Power? A place to call home?’

  And just like that, I was in. Lured in by the promises he gave, and the wealth that came along with what he asked me to do. Now that I look back, what would that alternate ending be like if I shook my head and said no?