Chapter 3: The Missing Boy

The phone rang.

You were still in your flannel-style pajamas with a major case of bed head.
It was Charlie's contact.

You'd left the sleepover the next morning with hard feelings. Of course, you would have apologized for being so brash towards her. But, you still had your doubts about Charlie being magically invited to a sketchy church service with absolutely no record of ever being built.
But giving her more stress over an invitation would make it worse.

Her behavior reminds you of Rowen, whom you met yesterday. They both had a gleam in their eyes. Like they're keeping something hidden away from you. Maybe they're more alike than you thought.

You answered the phone, no words to greet her.

"Hey, look...
I'm sorry about last night, alright?" Her voice is coarse and timid.

You nod as if she's standing next to you.

"I know I'm always making jokes just to make you laugh and...I'm constantly using that to distract myself from thinking about everyone asking..." A small sob echoes in the background of her heavy breathing.

You spoke in a hushed tone,
"I get it if you're stressed out about all of this and I'll respect you and listen to you, m'kay."

She continues, "The college meetings and visits just reminds me that I don't know what I want to do at all."

You soak her words into your mind.
'She's been trying to keep it together all this time for me.
Jesus Christ...'

"I wanted to go to the service to maybe get some sort of direction....
And bring you as my plus one..." Charlie muffles the last sentence, embarrassed.

You sigh, "Okay. If anything gets too sketchy then I'm out, alright?"
She lets out a small breath and agrees to your terms.

Jeanette informs you that you're schedule has been changed and that you'll be working props in the afternoon. You didn't want to be rude, so you agreed to help out.

   The overwhelming anxiety submerges you on your way to the theater, despite the promise you made to your long companion a couple hours ago. The only sense of comfort you have is the black button-up shirt hugging your body effortlessly and your loose black jeans.

As you pull into the parking lot, you spot two figures unloading small items from a truck parked by the theater. You park your vehicle, slightly curved, and approached the suspicious intruders.

Instead of seeing two troublemakers, Rowen and Jeanette take their place. Both are holding paint buckets with the exception of Rowen, who holds three in his lap of the wheelchair.

Jeanette's complexion appears more casual than your first meeting. Her hair is styled into a messy bun similar to a bird's nest of blue hues. Her attire consists of a sleeveless, sky blue turtleneck underneath hazel dungarees.
Rowen's style remains within his personality: dark grey jean jacket over a white t-shirt with jeans.
Quiet yet classy.

"Glad you made it! Usually, I don't send last minute changes, but Lake has been gone for almost a week now and I had to find a replacement," Jeanette explains.

Rowen nods along with her statement, staring back at you.
"It's alright. I really don't mind. I'm glad to help out," you reassure while grabbing a paint bucket in each hand. Rowen skids alongside you into the building.
His expression is smug and devilish, looking at the buckets in your hands.
"Make sure not to spill those this time~"
He laughs ferociously at your red cheeks, remembering yesterday's incident.