Chapter 4: Sunshine Terrors

The night is young.

  A waning gibbous hovers over your hunched figure, leaning against Charlie's truck. The scent of ozone lingers in the atmosphere, while raindrops moisten your layers of warmth.

You quietly sip on your juice box with strawberry milk. After a swift drink, you sheath your muzzle from the cold air and into your plush sweatshirt.

  You observe Charlie as she buys chips and a candy bar from the convenient store next to the gas station. Her smile never ceases to be visible while she converses with the cashier.

Bitter umbrage envelopes your core.
'You could never make her smile like that,' your voice betrays you.

"Pipe down, will ya?"
As if your figment of anxiety stood right beside you.

Glancing down at your hands, fingertips mirror dripping acid, until your entire flesh is covered.

It's as if gravity's pulling you back to its surface.
'Am I falling apart?
Or am I just jealous?'

You could practically feel the heat rising to your cheeks. All you felt like doing at the moment is cuddling into her jean jacket.

"Geez, What's wrong with me?" You hide you blush within the hoodie.

Before the romantic daydreams could overtake your thoughts, Charlie waltzes over to her truck with a plastic bag, then hands it to you.

"Keep 'em safe for me, sport," Charlie teased, hoping into the driver's seat. You straighten your body and salut her with mocking redamancy.
"Aye Aye, Captain."

She skids out of the convenient store and onward to Sunshine Hill Church.

Pine trees graze over the rooftop, clinking against the fresh paint. The trees appear to be caving in the farther you travel. Pop music once blasting through the speakers, now only plays static noises. The juice box collapses under the weight of your clutches.

Sounds of crumpling wrappers forces you back into reality. Charlie fidgets with her candy bar wrapper in one hand, while shoving the candy into her mouth.

You really had a bad feeling about this. Backing down from Charlie's plans would most likely end in her going anyway.
Another self-sacrifice must be made.

You and Charlie shortly arrive to the old facility. Her mouth curls up with blind optimism, swinging the grocery bag around while nearly smacking you in the hip.
  Your body refuses to move a muscle, acting  on instinct and pure intuition. Your dear companion takes a gander to your frozen stance, terrified.

To your suprise, she chortles and jests,
"Kleines weichei!" Her palms shove you forward to the entrance. Reluctantly trailing behind, Charlie skips ahead with the party-size chips in hand and goes through the glass doors.

The church is filled with people: wide eyes, cherry grins, and playful banter at every corner of the lobby. Several tables are set up with punch bowls, desserts, chips, and dip. Despite the amount of guests, the tables appear as though no one has touched a single food item.
You felt extremely out of place, unlike your flabbergasted compadre.
Why you may ask?

You're the only underage person in the entire room.

Although you're not too far off the ages group, you felt the resonating monachopsis keeping you away from the gathered residents of Sunshine Hill.

Charlie returns to you, remaining by the entrance, with a plate full of small treats: cookies, brownies, sprinkled doughnuts, and chocolate-covered strawberries.