chapter 22

(uriah)

The Christmas after Marlene's mom died, was awkward and long.

We went to my grandmas house and it was Lucas, Marlene, me, Zeke(who everyone called Ezekiel) my grandma, my mom, my grandpa, and Crazy Carrie.

We all sat down at the dinner table and Marlene sat next to me because she didn't want to sit next to her crying father or anyone else that would ask her is she was doing alright.

My mother had everyone held hands as grandma said Grace.

Marlene gripped my hand a little too hard but there's no way I was going to bring that up.

After dinner we had dessert and laughed and played board games and when everyone was getting sleepy after it being Christmas Eve and having a huge meal and the anticipation of tomorrow.

Marlene found the closet.

The closet memory stings at the back of my mind.

"What's in there?" I ask my dad when I see the closet that's been closed for as long as I could remember.

"Aunt Margo is in there."

"I thought you said she was sleeping."

"I did, that's what she's doing."

I shake my head at Marlene,

"My aunt died in there," I hissed.

She stared at me wide eyed.

I nodded my head.

It's the same frame and same shape as the rest of the doors, and its unlocked, (I've checked) but no one I'd seen has ever wanted to go in.

Me and mom and Zeke drive to grandmas without Marlene and Lucas.(we both had so much food we couldn't fit all of it into one car)

It is a three hour drive from home and we leave at 3:30.

We get there before Marlene and I play on my phone and watch Netflix.

After a while longer I hear a knock on the door that makes my stomach leap.

"I got it," I say to no one in particular.

I walk up to the door and open it.

Lucas gasps, "this. is. heavy."

He has a giant crock pot and runs in the house and into the kitchen.

I look back at Marlene.

Her dress is long sleeved and red and flares into a skirt.

She wears golden tights and black shoes and her hair is tied up in a bun.

But her eyes grab my attention before anything else.

Her hazel eyes surrounded by layers of black and a touch of gold around the corners.

Her eyes stare at me with wonder.

I don't fight the smile that comes to my face when she blushes after I stare at me longer than I should.

"You look beautiful."

I know she knows this. She has too. But I needed her to hear it. Because I think it, she's attention grabbing, and she's mine.

I let her in and my family is already cutting the turkey.

I grab Marlene's hand and guide her through my family.

Everyone one offers loud introductions to Marlene and I.