Chapter 5

"If you let people into your life a little, they can be pretty damn amazing."

-Sherman Alexie

He sank his fangs deeper into the flesh of his enemy. Warm blood oozed down his chin, dripping down onto the stark white snow at his feet. Disheveled drifts caused the area to appear as a war zone, and to Kylo it seemed as such. The red furred beast writhing beneath his clawed grip was anything but a friend. His roars of pain and anger matched that of a sworn enemy.

Using the remaining power he could muster, Kylo Ren threw the red furred animal to the side like a doll rag. The creature flopped through the powdery snow, sending crystal spray into air to sparkle as they fell back to earth. Defiance ridden eyes glared back at the heaving monstrosity before him while he attempted to right himself again. Yellow, red rimmed eyes of hatred met Ren's. Snarls passed between the two like snakes hissing over a meal. Kylo's fur bristled as he positioned himself between the red head and the girl.

His enemy couldn't touch her. Kylo wouldn't let him. Of course, he didn't know why. The overwhelming need to protect the girl wasn't normal for him. However, a lot of things had changed that day. He figured it to be some sort of fate, or something much different. Still, if it were anything in his power to keep her safe, he would. Why? He didn't know. She was nothing, but, somehow, she didn't feel that way to him.

The red head plowed toward Kylo and he braced for it. Riding on his hind two, Kylo welcomed the challenge with open arms, flexing clawed fingers with glinting spears toward his enemy. They met with brute force. The crashing of their bodies and slashing of their razor talons echoed from the whispering leaves of the trees. The once peaceful wood now filled itself with roars of pain and angst.

Out of his peripherals, Kylo spotted two more dark shapes approaching the thing he swore to protect. With lightning speed, he whirled around to see the red head's henchmen closing in for the kill. The girl had lost consciousness, her blood tainting the pearl white of the powder she lay upon. The dark beasts approached her, threads of drool spilling from their fang filled maws.

He had a choice to make. He had never been good at such things. Still, the pressure was upon him to decide and he was left to it. Should he fight his enemy behind him but allow the other two to shred the girl to pieces? Or, should he protect her like his tattered heart demanded him to? If he were being honest with himself, there was no question his decision.

He flung himself toward the two dark beasts, a roar escaping his lips. Landing above her, her body right beneath his own, he stood on all fours to his full height. Hissing a challenge, he demanded the two to approach any further. They knew he wasn't a game player. Still, their amber eyes flared with defiance and the lust for blood. Had they known such a thing before? Kylo didn't doubt it.

"Ren," A voice slithered across the wood. Footsteps approached, the red furred creature entering Kylo's line of sight. "End this now. There's no need to fight like this."

"What are you doing in my wood, Hux?" Kylo demanded. "This isn't your part."

The red head chuckled, nasty playful eyes narrowed. "Maybe things have changed, Ren. Maybe you don't own this anymore."

Kylo's ears flattened. "What?"

"Snoke hasn't been impressed with your latest work. Why is that?" Hux's snarl rose the hair upon Kylo's nape. He had only just spoken to Snoke moments before. What had changed now?

"I don't know what you're talking about." Ren snorted.

Hux's eyes traveled down to the girl. "Well, besides that, we scented something sweet in this area and decided to check it out. Turns out we were right."