The Honor of Welfling Consumerism and Who Deserves It

When Calum opened his eyes Deadwing was standing over him, expression flat and staring. This would mean one of two things. Calum had eaten one of their lettuce snacks again or he'd slept in (again).

"We need to go to the market," he said, "get dressed quick."

Reasoning still unclear.

How does he always managed to get up earlier than me? Calum scowled and dragged his feet through overcoating. It was only when he was bent over the wash bin, face damp and cold, was his brain awake enough to start processing what had been said.

"Wait, what market?" More deadwings? More welves?

Deadwing read his mind, holding up what looked like a scarf and a coat with no noticeable holes. "Welven community markets, much bigger than anything in Colliste, I promise you."

"Welven..." Calum squinted.

"We'll need disguises," Deadwing affirmed, "we'll fly until we're at the border, then we have to hide our wings.

Fly. "What about me? Won't I still look...too human?"

Deadwing paused, gave Calum a good look up and down, and shrugged. "Your ears have gotten pointier, have you noticed?"

His hand flew up to his head. Indeed, the entire shape of his ears had shifted slightly. It was a strange sensation and not one Calum was awfully fond of yet. Then Deadwing was at the door and beckoning for him to follow. Here we go.

"It's a two-hour flight, we'll stop every thirty minutes for a short rest."

"Uh, Dee. I don't how to fly." Calum pointed out as Deadwing slid a plank in front of door.

"Yeah, I know." Deadwing rolled his eyes. "I'm fully intending to carry you up and drop you."

Calum's face must've been hilarious because Deadwing actually laughed. "I'm only partially joking, don't worry. Look at yourself Calum, we don't have enough time to learn take offs and landings, but you're no spring chick."

The amount of faith Dee had in him was comforting. He glanced at his rusty-colored wings; they were big now. Almost as big as Deadwing's. Spread out, each was almost as tall as he was. He might be missing some covert feathers, but all his primary ones were still intact. His secondary feathers were wider than his palms, and formed a solid line. Calum realized he trusted them. He trusted his body to do what it was made for.

"Okay." He said, before he could change his mind. "Okay."

"Excellent."

Dee's wings stretched out from his body and blocked out the sky. His feathers were sharper and clawed for air with their jagged paws. He looped his arms under Calum's shoulders. Before Calum could protest, those big dark wings beat down and yanked him up into the air.

The deck rocketed away from him; he left his breath on the ground. The air cleaved into his chest and the first breath he sucked in was bigger than all the others before. Dee had only taken him down the tree, never up. That experience was exhilarating on its own. Now, Calum wondered if he would pass out underneath the onslaught of adrenaline. They cleared the trees' crown, Deadwing was breathing hard from the strain.

"I'm going to let you go soon," he said through gritted teeth. "By the gods, I think you've put on weight."

"The price to pay for my dashing physique." Calum said through the lack of oxygen going to his brain.