8. Concealing Clues

You pace back and forth quietly in the kitchen. You snuck out of the bedroom without waking Ransom and Dodger.

"So... you accidentally switched the Morphine and the Toradol... so you gave him 100 milligrams of Morphine but didn't have the antidote?" You repeat back to Marta.

"Yes. And Harlan came up with the whole plan to get me out of it then he... he-"

"I know, it's ok. You did it for your family, I understand."

"So you won't tell?"

"Of course not, you're my friend and it's what Harlan wanted." You organize the mail Ransom left scattered on the counter as you speak, arranging it into a neat pile to occupy your hands.

"I can't thank you enough, Y/n, I owe you," Marta says, clearly relieved.

"You don't owe me anything, think of this as my thanks to you for all you did for Harlan." You hear Marta release a breath she had been holding in.

"I'll see you tomorrow," she says, wrapping up your conversation that had lasted about an hour.

"Bye, Marta." You hang up the phone and look at the time. Two a.m.

You head back up to your bedroom and lay back down, pulling the blanket up to your chin. You stare at the wall across from you with your back to Ransom, going over what happened to Marta in your head. As you're lost in your thoughts, you feel two strong arms wrap around your waist from behind.

"Trouble sleeping?" Ransom asks, sounding tired.

"Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," you put your hands on top of his, crossing your arms over your stomach to do so. "I'm ok now."

"Alright, night, Y/n," he replies, voice gravelly as he leans over and kisses your shoulder gently.

"Night Ransom..." you trail off as you feel sleep taking you over once more.

🔍🔪🔎

You stand next to your father as he whistles, waving to show Marta where to park. You walk inside the small 'security' shack with him, followed by Marta.

The guy in charge of security, Mr. Proofroc, greets you and shows you all inside.

"Fifty years ago, I worked this estate," he states, putting a picture of the house on the fridge with a cherry shaped magnet. "You know, security back then was such that you had to make the rounds with a '94 and keep your ears open." He chuckles, as does Blanc. "Now you've got all this modern technology. That's the video there," he states, showing you all over to three old TVs as well as a VCR, "I saved the tape from that night. Normally, I erase 'em with a magnetic degausser, but in this case, I thought I'd just save it, you know? For security. Now, uh, that's a live feed there." Mr. Proofroc points to one of the TVs and Marta seems to go slightly pale.

You decide to not mention it, knowing it must have something to do with when she pulled off the road to execute her and Harlan's plan. You look over to see your father very focused on the task at hand, finding evidence.

"All right, well, can we see the actual tape?" Lieutenant Elliott requests, starting to get slightly impatient.

"Well, of course you can," Proofroc says kindly and sincerely, "I recorded it SSLP. There's eight hours in that tape. 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m." He hands the tape to Marta and she inserts it into the VCR. She presses play and a second screen turns on, displaying the recording. It's exactly the quality of video you'd expect from a VCR player.

The screen jumps around slightly, all glitchy-like.
"Looks like a Japanese horror movie, are we all gonna die in seven days?" Trooper Wagner comments, making you chuckle softly.