Chapter 24: Snake Pit

Carefully, the Ninja, Nya, and Pixal try to find a way to ensure Y/n's safety for the long journey back to the city. Together, they build a sort of stretcher sort of system where Y/n would lay on a bed of some sorts that is on wheels while someone would pull it. Y/n rejected it at first, but with a lot of persuasion, she sat on it. As the group travels to Ninjago City, Y/n noticed something odd.

"Jay?" She asks, looking at the boy walking next to her.

His gaze drifts off, watching Cole and Nya in the distance. Y/n's gaze softens and She tugs his sleeve gently.

"Jay? What's wrong?"

"Huh?" Jays saddened gaze snaps and he turns to Y/n. "Oh. Uh... nothing."

"You know you can't lie to me." Y/n frowns and gestures for him to sit with her as Zane and Pixal pulled the stretcher thing.

Jay sits down, slouches, and then throws his hands to his face. Y/n rests her arm gently over his shoulders, giving him a small side hug, and that breaks him. He begins to cry and sob into his hands.

"You wanna talk about it?" Y/n asks softly.

Jay nods his head and Y/n turns to Zane.

"I think I'm good to walk now. Jay and I are going to be just behind you all, okay?" She asks.

"Are you sure? We don't want to weaken you any more." Kai frowns, hearing the conversation.

"Yeah. Im sure. As long as I'm not using my powers I'll be fine." Y/n sends him a reassuring smile and then hops off of the stretcher, bringing Jay with her.

As the group in front of the two gets further, Jay begins to calm down and open up. "I'm guessing you know about the Perfect Match machine, right?" He asks Y/n.

Instantly, Y/n understands what he's talking about. She lowers her head and watches her feet.

"It's Nya. When our group split up, Nya and I had gotten closer and closer. She even told me she really likes me!" Jay smiles through some tears and chuckles to himself. "I even started falling for her. She and I have a lot in common." His face falls and he glances at the sand beneath their feet.

Y/n smiles at him, but understands where this was going.

"Then, just before you arrived, Pixal told us that Cole is her perfect match. Nya knew the whole time. I thought he was my friend!" Tears begin to fall down his face.

"I'm so sorry Jay. When we went to the inventions room to test out the machines, the kids insisted we try the machine. Nya was shocked too."

"But Cole knew! He didn't tell me at all!" Jay sobs.

"I don't know why he would've done that Jay. I really don't."

"I guess I'm just frustrated. He and I used to be good friends. Now he has the girl I like."

"That's understandable. It's okay to be frustrated. I would too if I was you! What you should do now is focus yourself on other things. Hang out with Kai, Zane, or me. Don't focus your time on him, okay?" Y/n stops, grabs his hands, and looks at him with a small smile.