Another Girl

Before Newt could chuck me in the pit, or Gally could increase my punishment to his liking, we're all drawn to the box, its alarm blaring. We all surround the opening as Gally and Newt thrust the metal doors open. Many of the boys call out, voicing my thoughts:

"What's going on?"

"Is there another greenie?"

"What do you see?"

The boys begin to come in closer, trying to get a good look, tightening the space between all of us. I'm pushed into Thomas, slamming into his chest. "Sorry Thomas," my cheeks flush, me pushing myself back. 

He smiles, grasping my hand that now lay on his chest. He rubs his thumb over mine, "It's alright, greenie." I blush harder.

Newt jumps onto the platform, shifting our attention. "It's... another girl." He gives a puzzled expression. I let go of Thomas and push my way through the crowd of gladers. Another girl? I peer down over the edge, into the box. Sure enough, a girl with brunette hair laid on the platform, motionless. 

Gally stands opposite me, him noticing something that lay in the girl's hand. "What's in her hand?" 

Newt reached over and grabbed the vile that lay in her grasp. He opens it and pulls out a slip of paper, then reads it, "She's the last one, ever." Newt looks up at all of us, more confused than before. "What the heck does that mean?"

All of a sudden, the girl inhales sharply, panting. I jump at the unexpected sound, us all stepping back a bit. Newt snaps his head back to her, startled. The girl gulps in another fill of air and manages to say something. At the sound of her voice, disturbia pelts my brain. "Thomas!" She breathes. 

All eyes turn to Tom, including mine. He looks just as shocked as the rest of us. Thoughts of worry began knocking in my mind, this girl seemingly becoming more mystifying and perhaps even sketchier as seconds of time go on. Why would she say his name? I worry. I got a weird gut feeling that this girl was something like a sign. This meant something. And I wasn't really sure if that was good or bad, much like this girl. Something about this girl made my stomach churn. But that was ridiculous, I didn't even know her yet. So I tell myself to forget it. 

The girl's breathing starts to slow and then she blacks out again. Thomas exhales, taking a shaky breath, unsure of what to do or say. 

"You still think I'm overreacting?" Gally asks, looking at the gladers each in the eye. His green eyes finally settle on me. I try to ignore him as Newt and Frypan heave the girl out, carefully propping her in both of their arms. They start heading towards what seemed to be the direction of the med hut. The other graders begin to scatter, some going back to work and others following after Newt. 

Gally didn't move a single one of his muscles. His eyes still trail on my face, it growing more annoying each second. But I try to hold my tongue; kindness is the way to kill. Besides, he wasn't throwing any insults in my direction. Yet. 

"Can't believe Newt is being soft on you. If I'd had my say you'd be scooping fertilizer and working as an aide for the builders. Plus, a couple days in the pit," Gally grumbles. 

I snap up, looking him in the face, as I'd been trying to focus on anything but him and his physique. I'd even contemplated leaving after the others, but this opportunity had presented itself. I recalled my mental note about speaking to Gally earlier, and hoped perhaps he'd say something about last night or even the night before that. I was of course, wrong. "Well, Newt's in charge while Alby's out. Besides, why would you even want me as a builder? You couldn't stand me being around you all day."

Gally blinks. He doesn't say anything for a moment, him focusing his attention on the box below us. Then he turns back his head, a smirk sliding into place. "Because. You're good entertainment. Watching a girl your size do all our dirty work. A real treat, really." I scoff at his comment, Gally's critique on my height from yesterday crossing my mind. Gally continues, now becoming less 'comical', "So I could keep an eye on you. No way on earth Clint can have all eyes on you every second in the med hut with all those shucking slicers stealing his attention."