VI

The Calypso zipped through space as Jax tapped flashing, multicolor buttons on the control panel, and announced, "Our ETA to the Obsidian Cluster is thirteen hours."

"Thank you, Jax." Syd cocked a dark brow and took a few steps towards Liri. "Now, Lady Delaney, why exactly are we going into that region of space?"

"We are heading to a branch of Bazentine Werks on Leechaha." She glanced at Ardon and then said, "We need to get in and see why our client's money is being diverted to such an inhospitable sector of space."

"Why would you have a client?" Jax asked.

"It's a job for Nico," Ardon stated while locking eyes with the orangutan. "And as I said, I'm giving Liri an adventure."

"Right."

Syd adjusted the goggles holding curly black-hair out of her eyes as she moved to the command chair and sat. "That sector has been considered wild space since the cluster was strip-mined over five-hundred years ago. We will most likely run into pirates, so we need a plan and have several backups."

"We will leave getting us on the planet for you and Jax to figure out. Liri and I need to go over the company's blueprints to find a way in; then, we'll let you know the whole plan."

Syd rolled her eyes and growled, "Fine. You have a couple of hours to work out your kinks, or whatever in your usual quarters. Then we need to know if we go in there guns blazing or if we keep a low profile."

"Thanks, Syd," Ardon sarcastically stated. "I appreciate you getting us out of there...like I paid you to do."

"I work for your rich-ass girlfriend now." Syd chuckled. "As a matter of fact, I'm going to go make my wishlist for my new ship while you two go chat."

"Whatever you choose, I'll give you, so long as we get what we need," Liri stated as Ardon led her off the command deck and towards the crew's quarters.

Syd's voice followed them out, "I like that one; she speaks my language."

The door closed behind them with a hiss after entering in their temporary quarters.

"Give me a minute," Ardon said. He pulled out a scanner and waved it over the bed, holo-table, chairs, as well as the lone dresser. Once he was satisfied, he set the device in the center of the room and tapped a few buttons.

He ran his hands through his hair, freezing when noticing Liri's arms crossed over her chest and wearing a frown.

"You look like a man in need of a smoke or three." She studied him intensely.

"No, no." He shook his head and clenched his jaw.

She jutted her chin at him. "How many days have you gone without?"

He squinted. "How did...a week." Clearing his throat loudly when Liri's frown deepened, he flew to the replicator. "I need a stiff drink. Do you want one?"

"Make it a double."

Ardon pressed a few buttons on the wall panel and handed her a green and orange layered liquid in a scotch glass after it materialized in the nook. They sat at the small, round table and took a few sips while studying one another.

She cleared her throat before demanding, "Now tell me the real reason you are helping me."

"I already told you that you're—"

She held her hand up to stop him. "The truth, Mr. Rowe."

He took a sip of his drink. "Fine. I need you to clear some charges against me."