XVI

"There is nothing new you could ask me that you didn't over half a year ago when this first happened," Liri's voice rang across the sunny town square.

     "The truth would be a good place to start, young one," Judge Hargrove said. The three Elders surrounding him bobbed their heads in agreement.

     "My answers haven't altered, except if I knew who might have murdered my parents."

     "And do you?" The roundest of the Elders asked.

     "I believe that Jacob Sterling is behind it, Judge Florentine."

     "That's a heavy allegation, especially against such a man who was once an esteemed member of the council."

     Lifting her chin, she stated, "He was a murderer that got away with unethical practices because it benefited more people than it harmed. And to make sure he didn't have to face a more severe punishment than the loss of his seat on the high council, he ran and hid on his moon like the coward he is."

     A woman in the gathered crowd yelled, "He eradicated several deadly diseases with his methods."

     "You wouldn't be so cold about it if it had been your family that was ripped apart by his moral code," a man hollered, pointing his finger at her.

     The crowd's shocked cries filled the air in a mass of noise.

     "Do you have proof?"

     "You have studied what I have brought forward. What more is there to discuss?"

     "The dates indicate he was there a month ago. He's been dead longer than that, so you have more threads to pull at than answers."

     "The letter's my father wrote to Bazentine Werks prove that he tried to stop this and fix it. The video of Sterling proves that someone didn't want him to shut it down. There are Trillions in funding that my father cut, and someone didn't want it to end. I had no motive to kill my parents, other's did."

     "We have video. Do you want us to play it for the crowd to witness your evil deed?"

     "It's not me."

     "Then, it must not be Sterling in the video you brought us either."

     Taking several deep breaths, she admitted, "Fair enough."

     "Do you have some other evidence that proves your innocence?"

     Liri's gaze drifted across the crowd and landed on Ardon's hazel eyes. She calmly stated, "I demand the Rite of Lustral."

     A collective gasp from the onlookers was followed by buzzing and humming from their burst of chatter.

     "The last time this was done, the Lustral candidate drowned."

     A woman said, "That's because he wasn't pure of the accusations against him."

     "I don't need to see another death. I'm out of here." A tall man turned on his heel and walked away.

     "No, Liri, don't do this," Ardon yelled. He took two steps forward before the twins seized his arms, stopping him. 

     "The Rite hasn't been done in ages, Lady Delaney," Judge Hargrove finally said.

     Standing tall, she spoke, "I know the risks I face, but I am innocent."

     "You are positive you wish to proceed?" The thinnest of the Elders asked.