All Day.

Jen was called shortly after they met making the air more tense as the pair were alone, she wondered if she could still reach for her phone and just wait until it was time to go to her next procedure.

"I'm sorry Nightingale."
Her head shot up at Rick's deep voice, his head was bowed.
"I'm sorry about questioning you earlier, I know it's not my place to talk about your...wishes. I just don't understand why you want to give up..."

She tilted her head,
"Give up? Is that what you think I'm doing?"
His eyes met hers.

"Rick I'm not giving up or doing nothing, It's simply a battle I won't fight. I don't want to fight my way through if it's not meant to be if I am to live past the date I've been given then so be it. Right now I'm just waiting,"
She reached her hand out and gave his a pat,
"I'm not giving up. If it feels better you can always hope for me!"

He didn't know what to say but he grinned and felt his shoulders ease, at the sight of his smile Sera also felt lighter before noticing a small cut on his hand.
"Don't worry about that."

He rolled up his sleeve to show several deep marks in his skin but most looked really old,

"What happened?"
"I work with 3D design, making things with tools and stuff, It's no big deal really."
They drifted into a sea of questions learning more about each other like how Rick used to work on tractors while Sera had always been a social media influencer but was always secretly into designing,
Eventually, the hours dwindled by before Rick asked the question that bothered him all day.

"Does Elle know you're dying?"
"No."

He leaned into his pillow heavily,
"I suppose that's fair..."
"I expected you to shout 'Why?!' Haha!"
He chuckled at her impression of him before shaking his head.
"I think I get it, I don't know if I'd tell Henry I was dying either."

The little bell rang to announce that visiting hours were now ending, Sera didn't know whether to be upset at Elle or not. She just hoped that she would be there tomorrow again, while families and friends left she picked up her pen and papers from the tableside.
For a couple of minutes, all that could be heard was beeping from machines until a loud snore ripped through the peace,
Rick was fast asleep again.

"How on earth...?"

After trying to understand how someone could fall asleep so quickly after not being awake for the normal time a person is she returned to her previous piece of writing, clicking the pen for a few seconds before placing it to the paper.
While she wrote in curved sentences her mind drifted to her sister; was she at home now? Cooking dinner? Watching a movie? She sighed knowing what to say tomorrow,

"I'm so sorry Elle...for everything."