15: THE FERRY

°°°

°°°

TWO TEENAGERS PEEKED FROM a concrete pillar inside a parking lot.

"Is that him? Aaron?" The girl questioned, leaning beside her friend. The guy who they were spying on was just approaching his car, opening the trunk.

"Yes." Peter promptly replied, shooting a web towards the guy's hand, before speaking to Karen. "Activate enhanced interrogation mode."

Before Eleanor could ask what was that all about, Peter rapidly approached the man, making the other hero walk faster than usual.

"Remember me?" A deep, strange voice came out of Peter's suit, startling both Eleanor and the man. "I need information. You're gonna give it to me now."

"All right, chill." The man spoke, raising his hands.

"Come on!" Peter insisted, and before Eleanor decided it was a good time to step in, Aaron spoke again.

"What happened to your voice?"

"What do you mean what happened to my voice?" Peter responded.

"I heard you by the bridge. I know what a girl sounds like."

That remark made Eleanor snort, making Aaron's attention fall on her.

"Hey, you the electric chick. Thought you retired." He said, grabbing his plastic bags from the floor and placing them on the trunk of his car.

"Not yet, man." She returned, not even bothering in altering her voice. "We need some information to sort some things out."

"Look, who is selling these weapons? I need to know. Give me names or else." Peter continued, and as he finished, the man before them slammed the car trunk shut, frightening both teens.

"You ain't ever done this before, huh?" 

"Deactivate interrogation mode," Peter spoke softly just for Karen to listen. "Look, man, these guys are selling weapons that are crazy dangerous. They can't just be out on the streets. Look, if one of them can just cut Delmar's bodega in half-"

Aaron seemed unamused when he was talking, but when Peter mentioned the sub shop, his head rose. "You know Delmar's?"

"Yeah, best sandwich in Queens." Peter responded.

"Sub Haven's pretty good."

"It's too much bread."

"I like bread."

"Come on, man, please." Eleanor pleaded, interrupting the conversation from earlier.

Aaron kept quiet, and Eleanor took charge again.

"Come on, Peter. We're waisting time." She whispered, and both teens started walking away when the man spoke again.