17: HOMECOMING, PART 1

(a/n: that's how I imagine Eleanor at hoco, just without the necklace

(a/n: that's how I imagine Eleanor at hoco, just without the necklace. also, if you play electric feel by mgmt during the prom scene it's just- amazing)

°°°

SOMETHING FELT OFF SINCE the beginning. Eleanor opened her eyes as she rested on her bed, gazing at the ceiling. Something feels off, she thought. She felt as she had it on the top of her tongue, but nothing came to mind.

Midtown High hadn't allowed the students to miss school on homecoming day, but the principal agreed to let them leave earlier than usual, so everyone could get ready for the event. Eleanor didn't mind, her outfit of choice wouldn't take that much time, plus, she felt that she needed the distraction, her stomach made turns every now and then at the sensation of something being off.

"El!" Her mother called the teenager, who was now preparing herself for school. The girl adjusted her brown jacket and strolled towards the kitchen, where she got a view of her mother fighting with a coffee machine.

"It doesn't work. Could you help? With your.. thing?" Her mother pleaded as she placed butter on a toast.

Eleanor chuckled, she reached out to touch the coffee maker with her pointer finger, and it started working.

"Nice, thanks." Amelia Page thanked her daughter, placing the buttered bread on a plate in front of her. Sneakily, Eleanor's hands stretched out to grab it as her mother poured herself some coffee. "By the way, I arranged an appointment for you at the salon down the street. As soon as you get home from school, we'll head there so you can get your hair and makeup done, alright?"

Eleanor had been sitting on the kitchen stool, taking a bite of her mother's toast, staring at nothing.

"You okay?" 

"Y-yeah, I'm fine," Eleanor said, leaving the half-eaten toast on a plate. "It's just- I don't know. I just feel like something's off. Or missing. Or that something's going to happen today."

"Aw, kid." Her mother ate the rest of the toast and talked between bites. "You're just nervous. But come on, you'll have lots of fun. Don't worry."

Eleanor nodded, and bid her mother goodbye, taking her backpack and earphones along the way. As she stepped down the stairs to meet Peter at the lobby, she decided it would be better to just push down those feelings and not talk about it. It was weird, something just felt off, she didn't know how to explain it. But as soon as her eyes landed on Peter, her worries disappeared.

°°°

The day went by fairly quickly, and in a blink of an eye, Eleanor was already placing her earrings on in front of her mirror. She closed the clip and took a step back to look at herself.