10. Rendezvous (EDITED)

10. Rendezvous

A small pink dolphin swam upriver to a spot known simply as the cathedral. It earned its name from the natural dome formed by wild growth over a bubbling waterfall.

Julio was worn out from . . . many things. Mostly casting illusions. His student had a strong will. Amancio yearned to know truths.

My mission is paramount, Julio reminded the guilt in his conscience. There will be a reckoning with Amancio, that is for sure. But whether he forgives me or not is not of present consequence.

There was a chance that Amancio might never learn of the jigsaw that Julio sacrificed his own sweat and sleep to solve.

A chance as likely as a ripple waning on the surface of a pond.

Master.

Julio's disciple was already at the cathedral, greeting him in her true form. Her jet black fur looked haunting among the butterflies and floating vines. Julio shifted and climbed onto a rock near the waterfall. He had no explanation for how his clothes neatly accompanied him through the change.

Yasmin did the same. She still wore the iron wreath of her House. Incredible. Given what they put her through, Julio expected her to completely defect as her brother had. It was a happy accident that she maintained her status among the Gold Clan – his direct link into their affairs.

"Master, are you all right?" In a matter of seconds, Yasmin was by his side, extending her arms in support. Julio imagined himself hugging her and falling asleep while he was at it. Instead, he cleared his throat and asked, "Do you have any food?"

Blessed Mother Moon, she did.

Yasmin did not interrupt him while he dug into the package she brought. Bread. Cheeses. Blessed cold cuts. He prayed she had saved some for herself because he didn't think it was possible for him to share.

As if reading into his reluctance, she said, "Have as much as you want, Master. It's fine."

He thanked her and continued eating with a new kind of vigor. After getting through the protein and dairy, he was full enough to multitask. Breaking the bread into more consumable bites, he said, "I followed Toni. He knows the difference, Yasmin. Between us and the wild ones. He's definitely a shadow."

"The resemblance was a strong clue," she commented.

Another discussion for another time.

Julio looked out at the belly of the waterfall. "It might be a long time before we can go home, Yasmin. There is so much . . ." He struggled to find the words. "So much I have to unravel."

His disciple spoke her mind. "You're worried about what Carlos might think."

"He wouldn't advise this."

"Damn him."

Julio looked at her suddenly.

Yasmin went on. "You have the cover of grief. The clans won't question beyond that. I have been here long enough to see that this is a delicate investigation. It requires patience and time. If Carlos or Rafael need convincing, I'll be there to give it."

Julio held up his hand. "Thank you, Yasmin. I think all I needed to hear was that I had your support."

"Of course you do. Now please enlighten me. Is Sofia a shadow?"

Julio slowly ate the bread. "It would seem so, but there is something different about her. Like Maria, her abilities are exceptional, even for a human."

Yasmin stared at him expectantly.

Julio sighed. "I must continue to test her. Amancio will be her canvas. If she can work past my barriers and unlock what's been buried . . ." The bread felt heavy on his tongue. "I don't want to think about what it could mean."

Yasmin waited a moment before asking, "And the girl?"

Julio swallowed what was left of the bread. "We keep her. It's the only insurance we have to keep Toni coming back to the river. I can't be everywhere at once. That knife of his will come in handy should they run into pirates."

Yasmin dipped her feet in the water. "Do you think they will attack?"

"Toni, probably not. But a Jade scent clings to Sofia. They will sense it."

Yasmin's eyes went wide. "A scent? I never –"

"Oh, it's faint," Julio said, "but it's there. See? I told you. She's not your typical shadow. A strange one. Just like Maria."

Yasmin dropped her gaze. Julio knew why. Her guilt was still fresh. He changed the subject before her thoughts grew too dark.

"Tell me what you think of her. Our Sofia."

Her demeanor lifted by a degree. "She's very young. And sad. You?"

"Me?" Julio almost laughed. "I think she's a self-righteous brat."

But there's more there. A lot more.

Yasmin chuckled, her gaze wandered up towards the nature ceiling where it lingered. "You should have Amancio bring her here. She won't be able to resist this place."

Julio scanned the ceiling and nodded. "In time. For now, she needs a place to rest whenever she visits. Somewhere safe for her and Toni. As far as Amancio goes," He scooted closer time Yasmin, "he's hiding. Probably still in shock that he lost control. He never wanted to hurt Sofia. Of that I'm sure."

Yasmin gave a sympathetic smile. "Not to mention he's terrified of what you'll do to him."

Julio inclined his head and grinned. "Right. Time to go think of a proper punishment." His face sobered once more.

"Thank you, Yasmin. I couldn't have done this without your help."

"You owe me a bottle of Green Heaven when we return to the Encante. Now lie down. You're exhausted."

"One bottle?" He yawned. "I'll buy you the whole damn orchard if you'll stay with me through this mess."

Julio finally allowed himself to relax. He stretched out over the boulder, head in Yasmin's lap. The concentration of warm air maintained by the cathedral's shape was as good as any blanket. His disciple massaged his scalp with deft fingers. Her abdomen rumbled against his ear as she purred.

There was still so much to do. But for now Julio let it be forgotten. Forget his guilt over Amancio. Forget what the clans might think and how they will gossip.

Forget that he understood so little of this human who had so much to offer.

To walk unbidden through dreams.

Mother Moon, if Sofia could walk . . .

Sleep stole the Encantado's imagination before it went too far.