In Her Heat - Chapter Sixteen

NEW CHAPTER! I'LL TRY AND HAVE ANOTHER UP BEFORE CHRISTMAS !

***

A smirk toying at my lips, I sauntered back to the bedroom. All the while I could feel Cade’s eyes on my hips and butt, making me feel sexy. Actually any time he looked at me, I felt beautiful. Even when he was raging with anger and damning me, I could see the flames of his appreciation and lust burning in his smoky gray eyes. It made me feel mushy and gooey on the inside.

Is this love? I asked myself the question as I rummaged through the bedroom closet, not really taking in the clothes. I’d never asked myself that question. What made Cade so different? I mean, the man made my blood boil; he was so arrogant and blunt. But at the same time I couldn’t help but remember our sizzling chemistry and his tenderness and concern back at the shaman’s cabin.

Could I live with Cade forever? Werewolves mate for life and even if they didn’t, I doubt Cade would let me leave if we were mated. I pictured waking up to every morning. I’d certainly enjoyed the events of this morning. I imagined watching the drowsy way he lifted his lids and the quirked half smile he’d given me. I envisioned feeling gorgeous in his eyes every day for the rest of my life.

But with good came bad. Cade was not a man with a soft core. He didn’t take crap from anyone. I could imagine how protective he would be. Would it drive me crazy? Cade also liked to have things done his way, but so did I. I had no doubt there would be a few power struggles in our future, if we even had one together.

I turned my thoughts to Reese. He was a gorgeous guy and incredibly nice. But that’s the thing - he’s nice. Rarely ever sarcastic or pessimistic. I needed a little spice in my guys. And to be honest, he didn’t hold the same sex appeal that Cade did. We were good together, but I needed more than just good. I needed mindblowingly amazing.

Maybe I was thinking too inside the box. There had to be more single men on the reserve. I probably just hadn’t met them. There was probably a man more sexy than Cade and little less commanding. Someone who would fit me better. Right?

Wrong, my inner voice whispered tauntingly. You know Cade is the only who can get you that hot.

Shut up! I snarled to myself. I sighed and shook my head. Had I lost it? I was talking to myself now! In my head!

“Ainsley, you ready yet?” Cade’s question interrupted my thoughts as he entered the room.

I realized I’d been just standing outside the closet for several minutes. “Um, just a few more minutes.” I answered. Get dressed, I instructed myself, you can think about this later.

I focused my attention on the multitude of clothes hanging in the huge walk-in closet. What to wear? I walked to the window and pushed it open.There was a cool breeze and the air was just the slightest bit chilly, thank God. Maybe this heatwave was starting to break.

I walked back to the closet. Cade had already chosen a dark pair of straight jeans and was holding a black and a navy blue shirt. I scanned the contents of the closet before I chose a pair of highwaisted navy blue slouch shorts and a light, gray sweater that showed small flashes of my midriff. I belted the shorts with a slim black belt. I slipped on the same coal gray moccasins from the previous day.

“Wear the black one,” I told Cade as I made my way to the washroom.

“Yeah? Why?” he asked, sounding slightly amused.

“I’m already wearing navy blue,” was my answer.

“And?” he asked, fingering the black one.