Prologue - 5 years earlier

As Sam pulled up alongside the curb of her new two bedroom home, she felt excited for life. This leafy street was where it was all going to fall into place for her and Alice would be the girl by her side while all that happened.

As she climbed the steps of the front porch she enjoyed the warmth of the summer sun on her skin and the cool breeze that had been a comfort all day. For the twentieth time since leaving her apartment she squeezed her jean pocket to double check the engagement ring was still there . Alice would meet her here in 30 minutes with the Realtor but Sam wanted to get a few things set up. She had been thinking about this proposal for weeks and now it was here she had never felt so alive.

As she slipped the key into the lock and pushed open the front door she could hear noises from inside. As she made her way in she was confronted by Alice, the so called love of her life, and the Realtor Jade in a full on make out session of the living room couch.
"Shit" exclaimed Alice as her eyes met Sam's "baby it's not what it looks like" she begged.
"I think it's exactly what it looks like" Sam managed after a short pause that felt like an age. Her mouth had gone dry. The sight burnt into her memory and too painful to watch for a moment longer. She needed to go.
Alice had done her shirt back up, all be it badly, and had closed the distance between them.
"No, Sam. Please wait." She said reaching out and grabbing Sam's arm
"Don't you dare touch me with those hands now after that" the anger was now laced through Sam's voice. She was loosing her composure.
"Please don't go Sam. We can talk about this"
Sam stopped at the edge of the porch. She turned back slightly to Alice and met her eyes.
"The thing is Alice. I would have given you everything. All I wanted in return was trust."
And with that Sam walked down the porch stairs, climbed into her car and drove out of the life she knew and loved forever.