Part 2: Boiling Water

He sat with her for hours without any interruptions. Before he knew it, he too was fast asleep on the couch. Not a very productive day, but sometimes that's just how it goes. His cell phone goes off, disturbing him awake. Adjusting just enough on the couch, he pulls it from his pocket and looks to see who is calling him.

NIH.

Max picks up the phone frantically and listens carefully.

"Hello, Dr. Goodwin?" A dominant male voice sounds on the other end of the receiver. Max sits up a bit more in his spot.

"Yes?"

"Hi, this is Daniel Green, CEO of NIH. We were informed one of our researchers in your Oncology department was participating in malpractice."

"Yes, Valentina Castro- she's currently head of Oncology and we have a major issue going on over here." Max doesn't want to wake up Helen, but he feels she should be apart of this conversation too. Looking down, he finds Luna wobbly trying to stand up. He scoops her up and remains on the phone.

"I see. Well, we are trying to work out the kinks on our end. NIH will still support your hospital funding, but all the patients effected by this drug, needs to be put under special care until we can start fixing the problem."

"And what am I to do about Valentina?"

"She's here with us now- having a discussion about her research and reviewing her process of producing the drug so we can try to make essentially a cure for her cure." Daniel says with a bit of annoyance in his voice.

"Yes, but what am I going to do with her?"

"I suggest you start pulling files together and making a case. This is going to court. Her license has to be stripped from her and there's a possibility of jail time. She won't be allowed in your building with all this going on."

"Yes, well, my one doctor is very concerned about her wellbeing because of accusations found against Castro. She fears for her life. What do I tell her?" He's a bit annoyed that all they can do is tell Valentina not to go back to the Dam. He's frustrated that they can't just nail her to the wall on this one.

"I don't know exactly. We're doing everything we can on our end and trying to get this done and over with quickly." That's all the man says before saying goodbye and hanging up. It's not helpful or reassuring. Looking at his phone, he decides maybe it's time to call the one person he knows who can take care of everything.

"Hello? This is Joe Klins." A rough voice comes into his earpiece and Max thanks the Lord this is still an active number.

"Hey! Joe- it's Max." Joe laughs on the other end and Max has to pull the phone away from his ear, so not to be deafened.

"Haha! Maxy Pad! Missed you brother! It's been a long time. What's up dude?" Max knows if anyone can help, it's Joe.

"It's been a tough one, which is why I'm calling. Do you still have the Mega Com?" Max asks and Joe gets quiet.

"Whatcha need it for?"

"I know you only like to use it for actual States of Emergency and I have one. A doctor at my hospital found out something that can not only derail another doctor's research, but also put her away for a very long time. My friend leaked the info to NIH and now she's worried for her life because this other doctor has a bunch of inside hands willing to kill for her. Is there any way..."

"Max, I know what you're asking and I agree, I should help...but if you think your friend is in danger, you should probably contact..." Max cuts him off and feels once more frustrated with the situation.