Chapter 3: Felicity

Ice crept over the nearby trees as nausea roiled in Crystal's gut. Her mother sensed it and raised an eyebrow at her daughter. Crystal snapped out of it, forcing herself to look away from the Winter girl's smiling, pretty, face. I hope they give each other a disease, Crystal thought immaturely.

"You have a little brother," the Duchess suddenly said, bringing Crystal's full attention on her. She blinked at her mother.

"His name is Sorrel, and he is beautiful. He was born on October the 28, not far from your birthdate," The Duchess said, her gaze openly admiring the image in her mind of her newborn son. "Andal promised to take good care of him while I was away," the Duchess continued. "He has proved to be quite useful, after all."

"Sorrel," Crystal tested the name on her lips. "I would like to meet him soon." And she did. She had only ever had a sister, one that proved to be a traitor. She wondered what having a little brother to boss around would be like.

"You will soon enough. I must travel back to the manor after Elysium, and you are welcome to accompany me. However," she paused, glancing back toward Mab. "The Queen has spoken to me about perhaps asking you to try to talk to Neve. She wants to know more about the Black Rose's plans and Neve has proved to be quite... resistant to our interrogation methods."

Crystal blinked. "Resistant?" If Neve was truly resistant to the Unseelie interrogation methods, they had sorely underestimated the Queen of the Black Roses. "How does Mab think I can get through to her?"

"You are her sister. She was close to you at one point," the Duchess replied, using a tone that was trying to convince Crystal to agree to do this. To speak with her traitor sister.

"If Mab wants me to talk to her, I do not have a choice," Crystal said, sighing. "I will talk to her." Something told her it would be a very long talk, indeed.

*********

After two more drinks and a hearty helping of Summer pastries (all she'd eaten in the mountains was plain, unseasoned meat and the occasional berry), Crystal was feeling quite content. Well, as content as one could be while often catching a glimpse of them.

Twice, Crystal had nearly contemplated starting a blizzard when she saw the girl and the prince dancing (all too close of course) and speaking nearly the entire night. She had rolled her eyes as she watched him whisper in her ear, earning a giggle in response. Crystal suddenly had an idea, and the more Unseelie part of her was thrilled in response.

When the girl was alone for a few moments while the prince left to speak with another noble, Crystal moved her way toward the girl. "Hello," she forced out as politely as she could muster. The girl jumped halfway to the heavens but smiled in response, her sapphire blue eyes glinting playfully.

"Hello..." she seemed a bit confused as to why she was being spoken to by a taller, more muscular woman dressed like an urchin.

"Walk with me," Crystal said, easing a bit of calming glamour the girl's way. Thankfully, it worked. The girl strode beside Crystal as she led her toward the bar. "So, I hear you've procured quite the catch," Crystal started conversationally.

"Oh, well, I don't mean to brag, but yes. It is quite nice," she said, her voice too high for Crystal's taste. She probably sounded like a dying sparrow in bed, Crystal thought, then almost burst out laughing. Perhaps three drinks of some of the strongest mortal alcohol and faery wine had been too ambitious.

"You must be very lucky," Crystal said instead, motioning for the bartender. He soon handed her what they called a Ravish Malt, a concoction that included pink peppercorn berries and something that mortals called moonshine. Crystal shoved the drink into the Winter girl's hands.