Chapter 4: Broken Hearts

It was truly a blessing to feel clean again. After a long, warm bath and a nap by the fire, Crystal headed down the hallway, toward the throne room where she had been summoned by Mab. Dressed in fresh clothes - a black shirt, black pants with knee high black boots, all completed by a long sleeved black bolero with elegant gold swirls and designs stitched into the fabric.

    She had weaved complicated braids into one side of her head, leaving the rest of her hair slightly mussed and ragged, giving her the look of a sexy warrior and businesswoman at the same time. She did not know why the Queen had summoned her; the goblin servant at her door had not said. She supposed it was to discuss a certain dark Queen sitting in the dungeon.

    Voices sounded from the throne room and Crystal paused, her step faltering. She had hoped this meeting would be between her and the Queen only. She almost debated about turning tail and running straight back to her room, claiming to be indisposed. But the thought only lasted a mere second, for she pushed it from her mind and continued walking.

    When she rounded the corner and entered the throne room, empty but for three figures, her heart was pounding. She realized she was clenching her hands into fists and quickly relaxed them. She swallowed and bent to one knee before Mab.

    "Lady Crystal," Mab began, and Crystal straightened at being addressed. "How good to have you with us. I had heard of your little...vacation in the mountains. Was it fruitful?" the Queen's voice held the slightest hint of amusement and Crystal watched as the edges of her lips quirked upward.

    Mab knew. She knew the reason Crystal had left, whether someone had told her, or she'd guessed it herself, as her own mother had, Crystal did not know. Her hands began to tremble as she heard a faint smirk and movement entered her periphery. Instinctively, her eyes flicked toward it and her heart pounded harder.

    Why, in the name of all that is good, was he here?

    Unfortunately, it was not just him who stood there, Ash standing a few feet away, looking carefully blank. Crystal wished she could mirror his expression. "Yes," she answered tersely, perhaps using a questionable tone with her Queen.

    Mab merely raised a perfectly elegant eyebrow. "You were gone for quite some time. I am curious as to why." Crystal clenched her teeth and tried to dance around the question.

    "A year is hardly a long time, Majesty."

    "Answer your Queen." The voice was Ash's. Surprised that he'd spoken, Crystal turned in his direction, giving her eyes full view of the two fey, one who looked like he wanted to use the sword at his hip on something - or someone. The other...

    "I think you know why, Majesty," Crystal said, although it came out a croaked whisper.

    "Do I? Why don't you tell me what I know, then?" The Queen was toying with her, wanting an entertaining reaction. Crystal grinded her molars together, her mind racing. She tried to school her face into one like Ash's: cold, composed, emotionless.

    But a thousand unwanted emotions were crashing through her right now, and even though she tried to control them, it was like trying to control a tempest. She had to give Mab an answer, but she was afraid if she opened her mouth she would scream.

    "I had to find myself," she said, which was some of the truth. "I wanted to be alone." Damn if her hands wouldn't stop shaking.

    "Really. That is not what many of my nobles tell me." Icy hands gripped Crystal's heart and her head spun with panic. Mab was going to humiliate her in front of her two sons, show them how weak Crystal was.