6-Shopping, Errands, and Check Ins

I left the range right behind them, I ended up following them for bit until we got to the street I needed to turn on. I stopped at an auto parts store and bought a new battery. I was glad they offered free installation because I couldnt lift it and climb the truck at the same time. I learned that the hard way once.

My wallet took a hit with the new battery, but I didn't want to get stranded with meat, dairy, and frozen items at the store. I headed to the store hoping that I still had enough money for every thing on her list.

Once I found a free spot in the crowded parking lot I sighed and headed in. I didn't really want to be shopping right now, but if I didn't do it now I'd probably space it later.

Just as I grabbed a cart my phone buzzed alerting me to a new message. I huffed thinking it was mom already adding more to the list. It buzzed again, but I still didn't check it. I wanted to at least get into the store before I looked at it.

I headed towards produce first because there's almost always a slew of things from produce on her list. Then the normal basics like milk, eggs, butter, cheese, and bread. The meats is where she usually goes easy. Canned goods however she goes completely crazy.

I finally checked my phone as it buzzed again to see that all three messages were from Dante.

Did you make it back safely?

Are you okay?

Mikki?

I just ignored the messages and opened the picture mom sent me of her shopping list. After about an hour and twenty new items added; I had everything on her list and was waiting in line to check out. I kept getting messages from Dante and a new number, that I assumed belonged to Mitch, which I just ignored.

I smiled at the cashier when It was my turn and waited patiently for her to scan everything. Luckily I had enough money. I sighed in relief when the total amount popped up on the screen in front of me. After I paid and wished her a good rest of her day I took the bags that weren't in the cart already and left.

I was tempted to turn my phone off because of the incessant buzzing, but didn't want mom to freak out because she couldnt reach me. She knows I turn it off to drive, but she always freaks out.

Once I loaded the bags into the truck I headed to the next place I needed to go, her dry cleaner.

I was in and out in no time. This was probably going to be the easiest errand for me to run today.

Next stop was to run dad's lunch to him, which meant I had to go home first. That's why I left it for last.

I did decide to turn my phone off before leaving the dry cleaner because I didn't need the distraction it was causing while driving around downtown.

The normally ten minute drive home took me about thirty minutes to make because of a detour around an accident and post lunchtime traffic. Once I finally got home I grabbed as many bags as I could before going inside. Mom went to grab the rest while I was putting things away. I turned around from the fridge to a lunchbox in my face.

"Your dad's lunch." She smiled at me. "Be careful."

"I always am." I smiled back at her. "I'll see you later."

I checked my phone before leaving again to ease Dante's mind.

Mikki, why havent you answered me?

Are you ok?

Have you made it back yet?

I only had one from the unknown number.