Chapter 3

A/N: I apologize if you find the story boring or slow-paced. I like writing and exploring these characters in a more domestic and laid-back situations, you know, since we didn't get to see those in the movies. Also, that's pretty much how I write stories in general, slow-burn, then I try to make them as emotionally grounded as possible. Anyway, thanks for reading!!!

*******************

Eventually, Clint calmed down and Steve was finally able to explain the present situation. Clint seemed to understand everything since Steve just gave him the basics. He left out Strange's ramblings about consciousness, transcendence, and stuff. Clint also agreed to his decision to keep the news to themselves first. Steve knew Pepper, Wanda, Laura, the kids, Rhodey, Thor, Danvers, and even Rocket would be ecstatic but they would have to wait until Natasha was halfway to full recovery.

That evening, T'Challa ordered his staff to prepare dinner for them at the palace hall but Clint declined, refusing to leave Natasha. Steve did not try to convince him further because he felt the same. So Steve apologized to T'Challa.

"No need for apologies, Steve. I understand perfectly. I'll just have the staff bring your dinner here," T'Challa said. "But I'm afraid, I won't be able to join you. I am expected at the Jabari Tribe tonight."

Steve nodded in understanding and shook the king's hand. Minutes later, their dinner was brought in and spread in a buffet table by the staff. Then Steve, Clint, Bucky, Sam, and Bruce sat in a circle just outside of Natasha's ICU to eat. It reminded Steve of those nights when he, Natasha, and Sam huddled around a bonfire in the middle of a forest somewhere in Northern Europe, hiding from Ross.

"By the way," Steve addressed Clint, "I wish you could have at least warned me."

Clint furrowed his eyebrows.

"You could have said I would run into Schmidt there."

Bucky chocked and spewed his beer. "What?! That bastard's still alive?"

"Look who's talking," Sam joked and Bucky laughed.

"Not technically. Well, the stone has made him immortal but he's eternally damned in that place, so..." Steve explained.

"Everything comes with a price," Clint said. "Sorry, Cap. I just didn't think it mattered anymore, you know."

"Yeah," Steve said with a reassuring smile.

"But," Bruce started but stopped at the same time. The hesitation made Steve and the others look at him anxiously.

Steve immediately realized what Bruce was up to - Bruce was going to pop THE question. The same question that has been nagging him too these past months. But he decided to let it go in consideration of Clint's emotional health. He thought, asking it would not change anything anyway so he let it go. Now he looked at Bruce, deciding whether or not to stop him. But Bruce did not give him time to decide.

"What exactly happened there, man?" Bruce finally asked.

Steve saw Clint tensed up. His jaw clenched and he took a big, deep breath in before putting his plate on the floor. He did not answer immediately, of course, Steve understood that. He wanted to tell him that he did not need to answer the question if he was not up to it. But Steve decided to hold his tongue and let Clint decide for himself. He patiently watched as Clint took a big swig of his beer, another big breath in, took a long look at Natasha, and then cleared his throat before starting the story.

It was a rather short story, to Steve's surprise, but still, Clint fumbled with his words, his voice croaked several times to keep himself from crying, and by the time he reached the part where Natasha wriggled herself out of his grip, Clint was a crying mess again. Sam jumped into action and handed him table napkins to clean himself up.