Chapter 4

The day Steve and pretty much everyone was waiting for finally arrived. Natasha was officially out of sedation the night before but of course it took a while for her to wake up. That gave them time to prepare.

Steve phoned everyone that it was time. T'Challa also ordered to prepare a feast for all of them. Sam was just as nervous as Steve and good thing Bucky was there, calming them both down. By Steve's estimate, everyone would arrive before lunch which was good. If Natasha woke up in the morning, he would have some time with her alone before he had to share her with everyone else. The fact that Shuri advised everyone to wait until she and Steve had briefed her worked to his advantage.

So after showering, Steve did not waste time and joined Shuri and the medical staff back in the infirmary. She was no longer critical so they did not have to decontaminate anymore.

It was barely seven in the morning, but Shuri said they rather be the ones waiting instead of Natasha waking up alone in the ICU. Steve agreed. It also gave him time to think of how he would greet her. He knew she would be relentless with her questions so he needed to be ready.

They did not have to wait long. By half past eight, Natasha finally woke up. When she started stirring and fluttering her eyes open, Steve, upon cue from Shuri, moved to her side and readied a smile. He was the last person she saw before going to sleep so it was logical that he was the first person she saw upon waking.

"Hey, good morning," Steve whispered to her.

Natasha tried to sit up but Steve gently held her down. She did not protest, she was still groggy after all. After a minute or two, Natasha was finally comfortable with the brightness of the room and managed to fully open her eyes. Steve gasped in delight to see those emerald orbs again. But she furrowed her eyebrows faster than Steve anticipated, probably her training already kicking in for being in an unfamiliar place.

"It's okay, we're in Wakanda," Steve said and much to his relief, Natasha seemed to relax instantly.

Shuri finally approached them and before the princess could say anything, Natasha greeted her.

"Your highness. Everyone's really back, then?"

"Yes, thanks to you," Shuri said, her voice quivering a bit.

Natasha tried sitting up again and Steve helped her this time. She looked around for a while, trying to make sense of everything on her own and Steve let her. Steve told Shuri that they should take their time and take it slow. Information would not do Natasha good if she could not put everything into context. So they all agreed that they would only offer explanations or answers when asked.

And just as Steve anticipated, Natasha asked, a lot. He let Shuri answer all the medical questions of course --- her immune system, her antibodies, her new body, and the necessity of staying in Wakanda for a while. Natasha looked uncertain with the last thing but one reassuring nod from Steve calmed her down. When all the medical questions were sated, Shuri was kind and sensitive enough to leave them alone.

"Steve," Natasha whispered.

Steve knew she was processing a lot right. The deep lines on her forehead and knotted eyebrows were but superficial manifestations of her confusion. He was sure she already answered the basic questions internally, by herself, so he would be left with the real questions.

"We won, Nat," Steve said proudly.

"I kind of pieced that together, old man. But how?"

Here we go, Steve thought to himself.

"After we got all the stones, Bruce did the snap that brought everyone back --- ,"