Eight

That Lord Beckett did not look forward to the journey was an understatement. He despised the constant rolling of the sea, the salty smell and poor, but practical meals. As soon as they had put a foot on the deck, he felt the nausea waving over him. When the weather was pleasant, he was bothered by the sun which blinded his sight. On the other hand, when the sun was blocked by large storm clouds, the Lord instead loathed the rain and the fierce waves. The rough winds during these times also caused HMS Fidelity to rock more. So the EITC Governor spent most of the journey in his small, but far more comfortable than those of the sailors, cabin. It was located at the back of the ship, past the crew's quarters and the cargo, which mostly included pineapples. Not that the crew, or even Lord Beckett were allowed to taste the fruit. They were considered a luxury at fine courts around Europe and were far too expensive, even for an average Lord. It was in dismay the Lord had studied the gloomy, slightly damp area. Grey water covered the wooden floor and a tar smell stung in his nose. 

The Captain of the ship was an older man with broad shoulders. In the powdered wig and the blue white uniform, Beckett thought it appeared as if Captain Appleby was wearing a costume, of course he did not say this out loud. The Lord had rather quickly been given the impression that if he was to offend the Captain on his own ship, he would leave him on one of the many islands that crossed their path. As the Director of the company, Beckett was familiar with the proud, but experienced Captain, who's main task was to deliver pineapples to the wealthier families in the Great Britain. He was aware that there would be no opposition when he informed the man he would be joining him for their sail to London. Although, Captain Appleby might have approved of the Lord's attendance on the ship, but with the 'woman' as Appleby himself would have addressed Miss Lockhart, he was not as pleased. Beckett had lost count of how many times the Captain, in dismay, had told him that bringing a woman on the ship meant bad luck. However, he had heard it enough. 

Jade, on the contrary was overwhelmed to return to the sea. She had missed the wind against her face, and often stood by the bowsprit, her eyes perched ahead upon the open sea. The meals could not be compared to the excessive dinners at Beckett's mansion, but they eased her hunger and she would not complain. Apart from pineapples, there was a lot of rum on the ship, the sailor's drink many claimed. Rather quickly she had befriended many of the workers, and spend many evenings at their quarters, gambling and drinking, as a contrast to the fine wine of Beckett's, common rum. That the Captain was not precisely fond of her, did not mind her much for the rest of the crew most certainly was. 

They had been sailing for a fortnight, and had reached Madeira. Although their cabin lacked any further conveniences, Beckett kept his few belongings neatly placed on the small secretary. The 'small office', however, was no more than a small piece of furniture and two tiny chairs where they also shared their meals, apart from the rest of the crew. Surely the Lord fancied himself far too significant to eat the humble food served onboard, and far too posh to share it with the crew. This little statement, however, was confirmed by the expression on Beckett's face when he haughtily glared down at his platter. It appeared he'd lost hope for the greyed potatoes on his plate, and the fish which remained untouched, for he placed the cutlery at the table and lifted his glass of wine instead. 

"You are allowed to return to the crew's quarters" he snorted, while he cast a glance at Jade, who still courageously tried to separate the bones from the meat of her fish. When she heard the rather annoyed tone in his voice, she stopped and leaned back in her chair. 

"I did not know I needed your allowance" she studied him. The Lord had returned to his office, which meant he had placed his platter aside and collected his letters without moving an inch. His tired eyes ran over a yellowed paper in his hand.