Childhood Friends

Requested by PaladinDaiShi

You first saw him when you were just a kid. You were transferred into the school on behalf of your father. You were the quiet kid of the bunch, opting to spend your time in books like your family had conditioned you to do for years.

Unfortunately, it also made you the target of bullies looking to make themselves look cool. Thankfully, they left you alone after you demonstrated you weren't just a simple bookworm. That's when they went and picked a new target. You were minding your own business when you heard a commotion over by the sandbox. Figuring you had nothing better to do, you ambled over to where a majority of the kids made a circle.

"What's going on?" One of the kids turned to you.

"We're gonna see if the Artificial or the Original is better!" They excitedly said. You rolled your eyes. You never understood the petty things kids decide to do... You watched the fight ensue, walking away after the two were called to the office shortly after.

-~-~-~

The next time you saw them was by pure accident. Your father sent you off with a nice chunk of change as he attended a very important meeting. You didn't mind. It was like clockwork to you at this point. You stumbled across a candy store, and with a few seconds of thinking, strolled in. You greeted the cashier, wandering around and looking for anything that caught your eye. You found it after a few minutes of searching.

And you were in luck! There was just one left of the particular candy. You smiled to yourself as you plucked it from the shelf. Turning to leave, you overheard a conversation as you exited the aisle.

"Look Legosi! There's so much to choose from!" You recognized that voice. You leaned over to find the labrador from the other day pulling along a gray wolf. Having nothing better to do, you followed at a distance, careful not to be seen. The two quickly made their way to the aisle you were just in. you watch them scan the shelves, picking a few cheap candies. Legosi stared at the empty box that held the candy you snatched up earlier.

"Legosi? Is something wrong?"

"...They don't have my favorite..." The gray wolf said quietly. You blinked, looking down at the box of candy, then back to the wolf.

"Well, there's always next time!" The labrador patted the wolf on the back as he guided him towards the counter, and you. They perked up, seeing you standing in front of them.

"Oh, aren't you the new kid? [Name], right?" You nodded, staring at Legosi. You quietly walked up to him, holding the box of candy towards him.

"Here, you can have it."

"Eh?" Legosi said, staring at the box, then back to you. You shook the box a few times.

"It's the last one, and you wanted it right? Take it." you said insistently. He gingerly took it out of your hand after a minute, tail swishing behind him.

"Th-thank you..." You nodded, turning to leave. You heard the labrador whisper to Legosi as you exited the store.

"That was awfully nice of him, huh Legosi?"

-~-~-~

You were once again on your lonesome when the two approached you again. You looked up from your book and stared at the two dogs. The labrador shuffled in place nervously.

"Can I help you two?" You asked. They flinched.

"A-ah, we were wondering if you'd like to play with us!" The labrador stuttered. You blinked in surprise.

"Why me?"

"It was Legosi's idea!" You turned to face the wolf this time, who suddenly decided the ground was more interesting than anything else.