II. All That Can Be

"The worst kind of sad is not being able to explain why." - Y/n Fukuzawa

Kunikida's POV

When I first met Y/n, the President's daughter, she was a young seventeen-year-old. However, despite her age, she was alarmingly bright. Most kids her age didn't have as much knowledge of standard academics as she did, and as if she didn't know enough, she knew every background information about the Agency and the Port Mafia alike.

Her slim appearance made her seem weak or even fragile, but as expected of someone who grew up with two of the most influential people in Yokohama, she was almost on par with the President.

It was just that her slimness came from not eating much amongst her work that made me concerned for her.

So, twice a week, I would escort her to take her out to lunch in a compassionate manner. She earned my respect, and it would be unreliable of me to leave her unattended of her health.

Today was one of the two days.

"Y/n, are you prepared?" I asked, walking into the main office from the President's office. I spotted her seated at her workspace, typing away a report of sorts. Our newest recruit, however, didn't seem to be as productive as the eighteen-year-old next to him.

"Let me finish this report, and we can start heading down to the restaurant. It's your choice this week, remember?" Y/n answered. It was my week to choose where we went for meals, but I already had a place in mind.

"Yes, I remember. I've heard that there is a place that sells decent boiled tofu, so I was wondering if you'd like to try it," I read from my notebook, and patiently waited for the girl to respond.

"Sounds alright. Did you tell Father where?" Y/n questioned, standing up from her seat. I nodded and followed her out the door.

We never talked much during our walks, but there were times when we discussed specific topics.

I've known Y/n for three years. During those three years, I learned new things from her. What surprised me most about her was the fact that she can bring smiles to people's faces without smiling herself.

"As long as I can make people happy, I don't see a reason to smile. They can smile for me,"

I glanced at the monotone female, thinking back to the day she said those words. Y/n was a critical part of the Agency, and I can tell that the Port Mafia treasures her existence as well. If there was one incident to occur on her, I'm confident that the President and the Port Mafia boss will take action immediately. She was their daughter, after all.

"How are you handling Dazai? Is he treating you well enough?" I asked, looking down at the h/c-haired female. She shrugged.

"I guess he's okay. He talks a lot, but I think he could be a good distraction when the time calls for it," Y/n answered as we approached the entrance of the tofu restaurant. I smiled. With a chatter mouth like him, he's going to be a good distraction for anyone.

"Anyway, let's go. Lunch break doesn't last forever, you know," she reminded, stepping inside to the Japanese-themed building with her long, h/c hair flowing behind her.

I guess anyone could say I was slightly lovestruck by my younger comrade.

Your POV

We entered the restaurant, thinking that it was going to be a regular lunch break. However, for someone with a status like my own, there was no way my Mafia boss of a father would let me go around in public without one or two people around the corner.