Chapter Six

Aranck

The next morning I rose with the Sun; eager to start my day, and even more eager to leave my people. There is no intention to permanently leave my people if anything the feeling is mixed with excitement. But among my other emotions, fear has found its root among the others. I know that there are many strong warriors, but there is always a fear of white men. They seemed to share collective malice to our people, and I fear that once I leave; I might return and come to find that I return to have no home. Swallowing my mixed emotions, I dress for the journey. Since I am traveling as a representative from our pack I adorn more clothing than comfortable. A thin shirt made of cotton reaches past my elbows. 

My father came back with the commodity nearly a month ago, after a successful meeting with the Piikani Tribe of our people. The Blackfoot Nation is compromised of the 'great three'. The Piikani, Siksika, and the Kainai. The Kainai, my people, is the only tribe that has remained steadfast in the position of no interaction with our neighbors. But, curiously we live the closest to these new people. I could almost scoff at the irony of gifting me the materials that we refuse to collect ourselves. Hopefully with her by my side, I can finally bring the Kainai people prosperity that the others of the Blackfoot Nation have fully embraced.

 Sliding on my leggings, followed by my moccasins. I move the hides that guard my eyes against the prying Sun and was nearly blown back by a strong gust of snow. Knowing the tunic was not enough warmth for such a day, I decide to wrap the Buffalo robe over my shoulders. With a steady hand, I lifted the flap again and enter my brother's neighboring hut. 

Machk's tent was vaguely different than mine; I won't be modest to ignore that my tent did not have its fair share of weapons adorned in chests, but there were also maps, beads and drawings, feathers, and other important totems. But Machk's tent had energy filled with malice. In every corner: a different bow, spear, or knife lay as his 'decoration'. But curiously, my brother did not immediately turn from his solemn stare at the wall. 

"I suppose you have come for your parting gift" he whispers. 

"Machk, I do not wish to fight you. It will bring me ipahkóosi" I steadily hummed while examining one of his many knives that lay on the front table. 

"It is not a fight. I wish Father would let me go and find my nósskitsipahpi"

"My brother, I am to lead soon. I swear you often forget things. When I find my nósskitsipahpi, and I am made Chief: you will be off to find her" Chuckling at my brother's foolishness, he forgets that he will soon find her himself.

"Really?" he turns to face me, a large smile stretched across his face.

"Of course" I couldn't help but smile at my brother's innocence: "Now, where is my gift?" I smirked.

It is Blackfoot tradition, that before one was to leave for a long journey, that each significant member of their clan shall bestow them with a parting gift. It was a simple tradition, but it was a token for our clan to hold and protect the individual throughout their journey.

"Now, as you travel there will be nights where you may not find yourself between our people, and for that, I give you defense" in his hands he holds a quiver adorned with our tribes' symbols, and inside laid 20 arrows each holding a black feather.

"The work on the quiver? Quite unlike most of our women, have you picked up beading in your free time, brother?" I mocked.