One Day, Robots will Cry

"Goodnight," I said somewhat raspy to my wonderful caretakers as I made my way into my room. Stepping inside, I quietly observed the details of the room that I'd failed to acknowledge earlier in my outburst and confusion. There were satiny black curtains covering the windows. There was never too much light in this place; that was certain. There wasn't any carpeting but this place seemed to be temporary so it's not like I planned on judging the lack of warmth. In fact, I kinda liked the dreary interior because it coveted the warmth inside of all the misery.

'Not too shabby,' I thought approvingly as I laid 'my' pajamas onto the bed. It was weird because I was kind of being forced to wear Jess's clothes because I wasn't allowed to get clothes from my place. Even if I was, I couldn't lead them there. It's like a graveyard there and they'd probably abandon me right there. How suspicious is a hundred dead bodies in a abandoned post office? Seriously, Bill needs to clean up after himself once in awhile. Stupid vampires…

The images of the dead residue in the office faded into my head and I shivered underneath the blanket I was wrapped in. The room felt colder as I shook the blanket off of me and slid the black turtleneck top over my tank top. Sighing, I questioned myself with a hint of regret, 'What have I gotten myself into?'

I slid into bed as I leaned over to click off the light. The room was pitch dark except for the bit of light that shone in from the crease of the door, that I'd failed to shut all the way. Lying there, I stared at the ceiling, too dark for me to see anything else as I tried to fall asleep.

But as my eyelids sunk drowsily into a comatose state, a whisper cut like glass into the silence. In fact, it sounded more like thousands of whispers, all echoing against the concrete floor, gradually going louder and louder. Sitting up alertly, I whipped my head around to look for the source of this supernatural encounter. But the answer came in a swoop of fire as a little piece of paper erupted from the flames and floated down onto my lap. It lit up in the dark as the familiar calligraphy burned across the paper clearly written,"Don't be afraid to lose yourself in the moment. It won't last long anyway. Sincerely, William"

As soon as the words became clear, they vanished as the note burned to ashes in my hands, leaving no trace that it ever existed. I gritted my teeth furiously. I hate him so much but there's nothing I can do to save these people from the terrible fate that Bill had planned from the beginning. My name is Amber Beckett. I couldn't hide that forever. They'd find out soon enough…

That's it. I could not let myself get attached to anyone in this household. No one.

Suddenly, a hand reached over my mouth and I screamed. The hand was cold but turned warm at the touch of my skin. A loud and harsh "SHHH" came from the person, whom I immediately recognized as Pete. I didn't make another sound, for fear he'd get angry. My experience with Bill had taught me never to piss off a vampire…too bad I had a big mouth.

Dragging me down the cold hallway, he brought me to his chamber with no further explanation. His room was lit dimly with a florescent light bulb dangling loosely from the ceiling. The room was absolutely freezing as my skin prickled with goosebumps. There was a chair sitting below the light bulb in front of a coffin. There were candles lit randomly around the room…He must've planned this earlier…

He planted me into the chair strictly before tying me up with a rope. Rolling my eyes, I fought the urge to say something ruthlessly sarcastic. By the time he finished the knot, stepping backwards, he spoke lowly, "Welcome to my one-on-one interrogation. I ask the questions and you answer them. Got it?"

I stared at him blankly before slipping the comment I'd planned for earlier, "I think you've been watching too many movies. Is all this exaggeration really necessary?"