Chapter Two: What Is True, and What Is Right

     The next morning, Philip was up and early. He quickly burnt some toast, gobbled it down, drank some water, cleaned himself up, then ran out of the house without even saying goodbye to Emiya.

     Emiya walked over to the doorway and watched him disappear into the forest. He shook his head and turned back around to resume his chores.

     Phil ran down the dirt pathway through the forest, his mind scrambling to connect any dots that existed. What was Valence's plan? What was she going to do to Maxwell? His mind searched through multiple possibilities, but the obvious one was that she was in love with Philip, and that love might become destructive. If it does, she could put people into danger, his friends and classmates, and mainly Maxwell. He had to find out her true intentions.

     He slid to a stop by the intersection of the road where he usually met Maxwell everyday. He would be leaning against the light pole, munching on a carrot or celery. But today, he wasn't there. He was probably with Valence.

     Philip sighed and placed his hands on his knees. "That bitch had better not touch him," he muttered as he straightened his back and ran to the school.

     He couldn't care about what he wore today; a simple white t-shirt and cargo shorts clothed him. His hair was a mess and his shoes weren't even tied, but he couldn't care less. His best friend could be in danger.

     In the distance, he could see the swarm of students entering the school, each chatting with their own friend. He slowed down to a jog and squirmed through the openings... until he was stopped by a hand that was shoved into his chest.

     "Philip! Why weren't you at the club today?!" the girl yelled with the ferocity of a small cat.

     Her name was Alyssa. She's the club president of the dojo club. She's been Philip's friend for a while, but not as long as Maxwell.

     Alyssa first founded the dojo club when she saw Philip swinging a bokken, a wooden sword meant for training. She was impressed with his skill and wanted to train just like him, so she created the dojo club. She forced Philip to be in it, of course, and made him "second in command". Later on, Philip convinced Maxwell to join too, and they all trained with each other.

     At first, it was just simple sword training and exercise, but it later became more of "hero training" directed by Philip. Whatever wisdom he learned from Emiya, he passed it down to them.

     Even though Philip was a highschooler, he sounded like a college professor from the way he talked about the meaning of being a hero. He interpreted Emiya's words, "being a hero isn't just about saving people", in his own way. He believed that being a hero did mean saving people, but he also believed that leading them to the right path was also what they should do— to be an example.

     Alyssa looked up to Philip because of that. The idea that a hero can not only just help people, but have those who have been helped help others as well, could lead to a utopia of peace was just too perfect to believe. It sounded unfeasible, but at the same time, very very possible. It was so simple, yet so complicated at the same time. She loved it.

     Alyssa pouted at Philip and folded her arms. "You promised me that you would do a duel with me tomorrow, yet 'tomorrow' was yesterday, and you weren't there!" she complained while punching Philip's arm.

     "Eh, I'm sorry Alyssa, but me and Maxwell had something to do," he replied as he looked above her through the crowds, searching for either Maxwell or Valence.

     "Hey! My eyes are down here!" Alyssa kicked his shin with enough force for him to feel it.

     "Ack!" He lifted up his leg and held it. "What was that for!"