Old Enemy

3rd Person

It was a lax day on Dragons Edge. Everyone was scattered about, occupied with their own thing.

Fishlegs was working with Meatlug in his garden, Snotlout was trying to impress Astrid, although Hiccup and Astrid were already betrothed he refused to give up on his fruitless task. Heather was practicing flight patterns and agility with Windshear, and Astrid was doing her best to ignore Snotlout while doing some target practice. The twins, Ruffnut and Tuffnut, were flying around on their two-headed Zippleback looking for something to destroy. Hiccup was cooped up in his hut working on his dragon blade while Toothless slept by his side.

It was an ordinary day. Or at least as ordinary as you could get around here.

There were no recent sightings of Hunters, nowhere they had to be urgently, and no need to make the long flight back to Berk for whatever reason. Relaxing.

Hiccup finally came back to reality and decided to take and break and see what everyone else was up to.

Hiccup's POV

I was enjoying my day so far. Everyone had a chance to lay back and relax. No flyers have shown up, no recent urgent messages, the twins haven't destroyed the island yet.

YET.

I could feel Toothless' warm dragon breath on my right leg. He had also taken part in the relaxing day by doing nothing. I had been working on ways to improve my dragon blade but not to much avail.

Finally deciding to take a break I stood up and stretched out a bit. I looked down at my slumbering dragon.

"Hey, bud how about we see what everyone else is up to. What do you say?" He just looked up at me with a tired glare before laying his head back down.

"Fine, I'll go by myself while you sleep the day away," I told him. He just yawned and went back to sleep.

"Lazy reptile," I muttered to myself.

I walked out of my hut, shielding my eyes from the sun for a moment, and decided to see what Astrid was up to. Assuming that she would be somewhere in the forest, training, that's where I decided to go.

It didn't take long by following a path of scarred trees to find her. Just like I thought she was swinging her ax at the surrounding foliage with Snotlout standing not too far behind her.

"Hey, Astrid, Snotlout," I said, catching their attention. "What are you two up to?"

"Oh, Hey Hiccup! Not much, just working on some closeup practice and long shots. Snotlout insisted on cheering me on and wouldn't leave." She replied.

I looked over at Snotlout who was obsessively flexing his muscles trying to get Astrid's attention. I just rolled my eyes at his failure.

While we were talking I was trying to pay attention but I noticed that it was becoming harder as the conversation went on. I started to space out until I could no longer hear their words. I felt a certain force beginning to pull on me. It wasn't quite painful but I knew it could be.

Everything was coming back to me. I was seeing things from my very first encounter with it. The horror I felt.

I wasn't sure how long I was out but when I finally returned I saw Astrid and Snotlout staring at me both awkwardly and concerned.

Suddenly not wanting to be around either of them anymore I kindly dismissed myself and started walking with a quick pace back to my hut.

On the outside, I was trying to stay calm and collected. But on the inside, I was terrified. I knew what would soon follow. I just prayed to the gods I was strong enough this time.

Astrid's POV

I looked at Snotlout with a concerned glance who was just as confused as I was. I broke our stare and looked back in the direction where Hiccup had left swiftly.

I turned back to Snotlout and said "Well that was... Strange." He nodded in agreement.

I decided to keep an eye on Hiccup. I could tell he was trying to hide something, but what? I've never really seen him act like this. He's usually focused. Not spacing out about something. Whatever it is he's not telling us. What could it be?